Previa auto-trans fluid help needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 175k mile Previa is overdue for new fluid in the auto tranny. Can you experts please suggest a good oil for this vehicle? I don't have the owners manual to tell me what it needs. I should probably do the diff at the same time!

Thanks

I just changed the filter and fluid on the tranny of my family's previa. It takes Dexron fluid. Capacity is ~2.2 quarts for a drain and fill, and more with a pan drop.

Chevron Dexron ATF is an excellent atf for this vehicle; i've had great results with it.

For the rear differential, I used Mobil 1 75W90 syntehtic gear lube. Works great. Capacity is 1.6 quarts I believe. Take off the fill plug before taking off the drain plug. Also, taking out the spare tire under there will give you some mor room. Make sure to drain the rear diff when its warm as well as the transmission.

Be careful when tightening the drain bolt on the tran pan, it doesn't go on with much torque so overtightening it will strip the dran plug, they are $5 or more at the dealer. The filter is a hassle to change, its just a screen and when I changed mine with 30k on it, it was not clogged at all. From now on I'll just do regular drain and refills.

for the most part, I think OE fluid is best in ATFs. My fathers 94 previa has 180k and shifts like new. Has only used toyota filters and AT fluid.

JMH

First clean your transmission with Auto-Rx Then do a complete flush and replace with the correct ATF. Check with a dealership or look into the "Chek-Chart" at an auto parts store. The ATF might be Toyota Type T-IV or it might be Dexron-III.

Note that back in '91 the available fluids were Toyota's Type T or T-II. Those have been replaced with T-IV. Dexron-II or IIE were current then and has been replaced with Dexron-III. The Toyota fluid and Dexron are NOT interchangable. Find out which your van takes.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back