Opinion on new HVAC price

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, between these storms, had the annual AC check. Not good. It's losing about 2-3 LBS of R-22 every year. The current system is a Lennox, R-22 with gas furnace, about 4 ton unit, 48K BTU. I've been nursing it along over the years, but I think I may have to take the plunge. Installed in '96. So, current HVAC guy I trust, has been honest with me, quoted a price. 4 ton American Standard Silver Series, replace everything, turn key operation, includes all maintenance for 5 years and 10 warranty on just about everything, for 8543.00 I about had to take a deep breath. I googled that system, and a lot of companies, like down in Houston and Florida are advertising around 3500-4000K installed for that exact same system. Yeah I know, if it's on the internet then it's got to be true. However, I just can't believe there's that much of a difference. Am I not seeing something? Is that maybe a "let me get to your house and then I'll have to add some more to that bill" kind of thing? I can see a 400-800 difference in pricing based on location and some other issues, but over 4K difference in price. Really don't know what to do but get another quote from another dealer, but I'm really leaning towards this American Standard brand. HVAC guy is s American Standard licensed dealer.

Had a 3 Ton AC with HE furnace done at trade rates 2 years ago for $6500 CDN$, so about $5000 US$.
I'm thinking a good number would be $6500 for your system.
4 Ton and 2 years of inflation.
Be prepared, the new HE exterior fan/coils are huge, about 3x bigger than my last setup.

If you are getting a twice yearly check up visit (5 yrs Maint) included, then that is worth $1000-$1250 itself. My HVAC guy does service contracts in that range for our Trane heat pump.

yes, thats a high price, shop around.
Your service tech might get mad at you.
On our house I called 4 places, settled on one, never told the other guys anything, got a call from one of them who then yelled at me over the phone because I did not give him the work.
Mine was $3500 about 20 years ago for a 3 ton heat pump install using Janitrol, and it has had no failures and needed no major service yet.

It does build up leaves and dirt inside, I need to clean it out. Its had 2 fan motors replaced by me, and couple start-run caps.
I have learned enough about these things, I would DIY the whole thing myself maybe.

Last edited:
If a contractor yelled at you for not using him / her , you are very lucky you did not . Very unprofessional .

As for as price , many things you need to know . What is the SEER rating ? Was the indoor and out door units to be replaced ? Any duct work changes ?

Was the refrigeration lines to be replaced ? Silver solder / brazing or Zoom-Lock ?

Was the condensate pump to be replaced ?

I am guessing a R-410a system was quoted ? How much are you paying a year to charge the old system ? Has any one tried to locate & repair the leak ?

HVAC installation depends on how the current system is installed and how the install of the new system.

Your local guy have estimated based on your particular install not generic install online quotation.

Then, it is a question on what is included and what is NOT included.
The cheaper online cannot anticipate what needs to be included and what is not.
This is usually on the heating system, I got the feeling OK needs a better heating system than Houston which is hardly gets cold.

This is a seer 16. 410a with gas furnace. Replace/remove everything except existing duct work. Unit located in garage, easy to get to. New AC line to outside unit with 5 year service contract and then 10 year warranty. Current system is losing R-22 about the rate of 2 pounds per year. I know as of 2020, getting R-22 will be expensive or then jump to a EPA approved replacement that won't be anywhere near as efficient. Can get hot here in Oklahoma. Been researching a little bit more, so confused.

In 2015 I replaced a 20 year old 4 ton 3 piece system that the previous owner was nursing along. I didn't upgrade the SEER or get a multistage unit. Generic ICP unit. $5,400, had a duct added that brought it up to $5,900.

I don't see $3,500-$4,000 being a legit number, I wouldn't even bother with a company advertising that number.

If the 10 year warranty includes all parts, labor and refrigerant, and you plan on staying in the house...I'd consider the quote you have but might call out another company or two for a second quote.

Internet price for a 4 ton condenser & furnace ( do not know if a gas or electric heat ) appears to be around $2,600 - $2,700 . Shipped to your door . That is w/o install , lines , etc. .

Getting prices you have to compare apples to apples. Seer factor on the condensing unit, is the ac coil in its factory cabinet or will they be making their own. Gas furnace have to look at efficiency also ask if there will be furnace filter in the return (return preferred) or in the furnace. If your considering a very high seer unit that lowers the amount of service people that really understands that type of system no different that finding someone to work on a BMW.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
It's losing about 2-3 LBS of R-22 every year.

So? Top it off every year. I bought a 30 pound drum of R22 off Craigslist a few years ago for $150. I have a 1990 Amana HVAC and have topped it off twice already. Have an automotive manifold gauge set with R22 markings that connect with the unit outside. I could probably keep it going another 10 years I hope. These were built when everything was still make in the USA. The new systems are junk. They may be assembled here but many of the components are made in China, And don't let a 5 or 10 year warranty fool you. That's usually only for parts. Labor may only be for one year. Replaced the HVAC in my Florida property 3 years ago. 14 months afterwards the compressor died. Still had to pay over $300 to get it fixed.

They offered to try and find the leak, but geesh, a leak that small....wouldn't it be a PITA to find? The last leak it had was actually outside where the copper tubing does a 180 degree bend. The sheet metal that was holding all the tubes had rubbed a hole in that tubing. Luckily it was noticeable and was able to weld it back and hold a vacuum. To me, it seems that it's a omen for things to come.

Isn't that along the same lines with automobile leak sealers that we've all said no to before?

20 year old leaking R-22 system? Unless money is super tight, I'd replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back