What's floating in my 2005 Chevy Classic / Malibu brake reservoir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up a cheap daily driver. 2005 Chevy Classic Malibu. Needing some small things including front brakes. Replacing the pads and rotors it was obvious they were dragging but that could have been because of corroded slides rust Etc. After replacement the driver side was 30f hotter than the passenger side on my infrared heat gun. Based on other cars that tells me it's either the caliper sticking or the brake hose is collapsed inside. So I ordered brake lines and a new caliper because it's cheap enough to just shotgun it.

Well it didn't work out as planned because the brake hose is rotted to the brake line

[Linked Image]

So looks like I'm replacing just a caliper for now. Which gives an opportunity to see what it really was that was dragging and making heat.

And then I open the cap for the first time. What's this floating?

[Linked Image]

That doesn't look good. I wonder if someone topped off with the wrong fluid, and it is not mixing well?

Last edited:
That's the low level sensor float. But the pointy things are supposed to be engaged in the slots on the float. Your level must be quite low.

Originally Posted by kschachn
That's the low level sensor float. But the pointy things are supposed to be engaged in the slots on the float. Your level must be quite low.

It's so full it's ready to pop out the top. Going down now because I'm replacing a caliper

few owners ever change brake fluids, hence issues on older vehicles, pay me now or pay me more later $$ upkeep is important in the long run

It did look like a big chunk of cheese LOL. I guess it was just a float and the prior owner was filling up the reservoir as the brakes went down. So it was overly full. So I let the reservoir empty a couple of times through the banjo bolt. Pumped on the brakes and I could hear it squirting out through the hose. So I guess the hose is working okay?
[Linked Image]

Also what torque should I put on that banjo bolt? I can't find that anywhere

The banjo bolt gets cranked down until it doesn't leak anymore. A used copper washer, though a bad idea, needs more than a new (or annealed) one.

You should feel the copper getting squished when you crank that guy down.

Originally Posted by eljefino
The banjo bolt gets cranked down until it doesn't leak anymore. You should feel the copper getting squished when you crank that guy down.

Exactly what the factory service manual recommends!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Also what torque should I put on that banjo bolt? I can't find that anywhere

I suggest you google this question. The answer will quite literally fall into your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back