Looking for a SynBlend 5W30 that's 50:50 Syn-to-Dino ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group III syn is okay in the blend, it's for my 2009 Forester. I don't want to go full synthetic, just blend. Any suggestions?

Pennzoil Gold used to advertise it was a 50% Synthentic Blend. Given the loose definition of dino vs. syn these days, it would be hard to make a suggestion that meets this criteria.

Just out of curiosity - why no full synthetic?

Buy 1 qt syn, 1 qt conventional and mix yourself, but even then, conventional is more that likely a blend anyway. Nothing out now that identifies what percentage of oil is what.

Just wonder why?

How would you know that any blend is 50/50? The oils companies will keep that part close to their vest. Besides, with formulations changing all the time it would be impossible to keep up.

Originally Posted by PimTac
How would you know that any blend is 50/50? The oils companies will keep that part close to their vest. Besides, with formulations changing all the time it would be impossible to keep up.

Pennzoil Gold on the quart bottle states it a
50/50 blend

F36D4D2A-9B04-4677-B34D-796B49F3B1F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Buy 1 qt syn, 1 qt conventional and mix yourself, but even then, conventional is more that likely a blend anyway. Nothing out now that identifies what percentage of oil is what.

Just wonder why?
You beat me to it, I was going to suggest half PYB & half PP/Ultra.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by blupupher

Just wonder why?
You beat me to it, I was going to suggest half PYB & half PP/Ultra.

That's the sure fire way of getting what you pay for ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

why bother with the price of super-tech full synthetic prolly the same!

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Group III syn is okay in the blend, it's for my 2009 Forester. I don't want to go full synthetic, just blend. Any suggestions?

Pennzoil synthetic blend.

All SN/SN+ oils are roughly half group III, whether they call them conventional or semi-syn. Exception is Mobil base stocks which can meet SN with group II. I've put their position papers on here several times. There are no other "semi-syn" oils out there that are 5% or so group III. Unless it's some really off-brand that doesn't meet SN standards.

So if you mixed half VWB and half Valvoline synthetic, the resulting mix would be roughly 75% group III.

All SN/SN+ oils are roughly half group III, whether they call them conventional or semi-syn. Exception is Mobil base stocks which can meet SN with group II. I've put their position papers on here several times. There are no other "semi-syn" oils out there that are 5% or so group III. Unless it's some really off-brand that doesn't meet SN standards.

So if you mixed half VWB and half Valvoline synthetic, the resulting mix would be roughly 75% group III. Same with PYB and Pennzoil synthetic. IMO-- the term "conventional" refers to a price point, and will disappear in the next few years.

Last edited:
I emailed chevron a while back asking how much synthetic was in their chevron supreme 5w30, the technical lead emailed me back telling me that it's "over 40% synthetic base stock." Is that good enough for ya?

Originally Posted by csandste

So if you mixed half VWB and half Valvoline synthetic, the resulting mix would be roughly 75% group III. Same with PYB and Pennzoil synthetic. IMO-- the term "conventional" refers to a price point, and will disappear in the next few years.

Valvoline has already dropped "conventional" with their new white bottle label roll out. Expect to see wholesale changes amongst other brands soon. Conventional will be either left off the label or it will be labeled as semi-syn/syn blend.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be much difference with oil quality whether it has 30% or 50% synth in it.
Personally, I switched to Valvoline Conventional 5w-30 which is in fact a synth blend and which I caught on sale at US$9 for a 5L jug (1.32gal).
When I see a good sale on Penn Plat i'll most def buy that and stock up for a year worth oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

This was my thought also. Most certifications and specifications are based on performance and test results, not based on the content of base oils or additives.

Used to be the Ford Motorcraft syn blend was 40% syn to 60% conventional ... One of the best regarded syn blends as a SN rated oil . Now I just rotate between what ever all synthetic oils whioch are D1 / Gen 2 SN+ rated on roll back at WM .

Originally Posted by PlzRepond
I emailed chevron a while back asking how much synthetic was in their chevron supreme 5w30, the technical lead emailed me back telling me that it's "over 40% synthetic base stock." Is that good enough for ya?

Sounds good to me. I'm using Chevron Supreme 5w30 in three vehicles. $12.48 5qt jug Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back