Ryobi 410R - Sat For 15 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've acquired a Ryobi 410r that has sat for 15 years. Story goes, it belonged to someones Father who passed away and it's been sat in the back of his Sons garage since. Apparently it was working well and used regularly before hand.

I've ordered a new carburetor, fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter and spark plug for it just in-case. It still turns over, isn't seized and seems to have compression.

I'm estimating I have around 15-20 hours of hard full throttle use preparing our back garden ready to seed a lawn. The lawn is currently quite thin, yellow in places and grows very slowly. The soil is like clay and full of rubble. I'm planning on cultivating the lot, pulling out any bricks, stones and other rubble, laying some fresh top soil and seeding a new lawn come Autumn.

The user guide which was written in the 90's suggests mixing oil to petrol at 32:1. I've got a fully synthetic two stroke mix that meets JASO FC and a mineral two stroke oil that meets JASO FB. If I use the more modern synthetic oil, can I stretch the mix out to 40:1 or even 50:1? Or am I better off using the mineral oil at 32:1 as per the manufacturers recommendations?

I was thinking of using a pre-mix Alkylate fuel but I can only find 50:1 local to me. Is it worth a try?
https://aspenfuel.co.uk/products/aspen-fuel/#aspen2

Is there any good additives to help clean up a two stroke engine? Are PEA additives suitable for 2 stroke engines?

This machine only has to last for my garden, I'd have no issue throwing it out afterwards. It would cost me £50 to hire one for the weekend, but so far I've only invested £23 into this.

Does it have spark? A carb, fuel lines primer and spark plug kit for less than 20$ from Ebay on this side of the pond. I would use the 50:1 . To which I would add a heaping tablespoon of whatever motor oil you have on hand.PEA cleaner or anything shouldn't be necessary with a new carb.. I wouldn't use it on top of 50:! mix in an engine specc'ed for 32:1. Dump whatever is left in the tank after 2 weeks. Save the can the fuel came in. Use it to mix fuel in next season. I went through this scenario a few yrs ago with a Mantis tiller. Just 2 days ago I mixed up a qt of fuel in the Tru fuel can and added 30 ml, a shade over 1 ounce, of 2stroke oil to it . Mantis started right up.
grin2.gif

PS Please post results TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back