Honda OEM air filter interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does 15K sounds reasonable for oem filter change interval? Driving houston roads primarily so no super dusty conditions although lots of dust/sand is collected under the hood. What ya says?

For most makes, 30k seems typical and that seems to be more or less what Honda's MM points to.

30K seems a bit excessive. None of the the cars I've owned i went over 20K. I wonder if there were any studies or what not on that?

I never went by miles with air filters, I replace them when they look like they need to be replaced. That goes back to shop class in the 70's. My shop teacher had a collection of bad air filters, and taught us how to check them.

For recent Hondas 2006 and up, change it when the MM tells you to
smile.gif

There's no reason to replace them long before they restrict flow significantly. Earlier = more dirt entering engine.

Depends on the filter, car, and where you live.

If you dust them off every oil change you can get 50k+ on many cars. Others may have to change much sooner.
I've found most change theres to soon as they see a little dirt on the surface. Dust it off and hold to the sun or a bright light. If you see clear bars of light coming through then its most likely good. If its reduced or very little coming in then change.

Some Australian dude did a pressure drop measure with new vs old filter and he found that pressure drop was negligible.
So, based on that finding, I think 30k will be fine, just check the filter often for large leaves, dead bird, snakes.....

Originally Posted by parshisa
30K seems a bit excessive. None of the the cars I've owned i went over 20K. I wonder if there were any studies or what not on that?

You could browse current owners manuals for other makes on-line. Just picking two at random (2019 Ford Escape and 2019 Toyota Corolla) the air filter change interval was 30,000 miles for each.

Honda's MM is fine, but it sure would be nice if the manual gave you some idea when to expect a maintenance item to pop up.

Last edited:
It only takes a moment or two to open and check the filter. Too many variables to put a blanket answer on when to change it.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by parshisa
How do you determine that?

With an air flow restriction gage.
Also called a Filter Minder.

So, what vacuum would you recommend to replace air filter? You can read the vacuum / air pressure from OBDII tools without any drilling or mechanical gauge these days.

Last edited:
I change my OEM 2012 V6 Accord at 20,000 mile intervals. It is VERY dirty by then but still working well verified by oil analysis. This is the factory oiled air filter.

While it's not a Honda, I just changed the factory air filter in our 2017 Explorer at 40,000 miles, the OM says 30,000 miles. We live in Northern NJ and it's not particularly dusty here except when they salt in the winter. At 40,000 miles the filter was barely even "dirty", it could have gone longer easily. Over the years of living here I noticed the same thing, air filters can easily go 40-50,000 miles. I replaced the factory air filter with a Motorcraft one. It was extremely reasonable from Rock Auto especially as I was ordering other items.

Whimsey

My previous 2006 Toyota Matrix called for 30K mile changes.
I installed a filter minder; did an occasional WOT run to set it.
New filter read just under 8" restriction.
Changed the filter when restriction reached 11".
That took 43K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back