Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,
I have a bulge in my front passenger tire. (first picture)
Nokian Entyre, manufactured date 06/2016.
Also, small cracks at sidewall to tire blocks area. It became more visible, compared with last week.
Is the tire still usable or just replace?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you

The cracks are bad enough to warrant removal. The bulge is a bit large, and just large enough to also warrant removal.

I am surprised that a 3 year old tire has cracks that bad.

That tire should be replaced. It looks like damage from hitting a pothole or other large problem in the road. There's also scuffing (and potential cracking) on the rim in the same place.

I recommend replacing the tire. Besides having the bulge which shows cord damage, there are cracks in the sidewall which warrant replacing the tire.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd replace the pair of tires.

Metal plate on the road took out front driver tire last week....
I guess, I'll have a pair of eagle sport on the front

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
The cracks are bad enough to warrant removal. The bulge is a bit large, and just large enough to also warrant removal.

I am surprised that a 3 year old tire has cracks that bad.

Do you think the brine used in the area could be major factor?

Car has been also driven to GA and FL for couple vacations.

I had similar cracks at 2.5 years on Cooper CS5 (fronts the blocks started to separate) on my Yaris sedan.

No tireshine used on any tire and I'm not an aggressive driver.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd replace the pair of tires.

Metal plate on the road took out front driver tire last week....
I guess, I'll have a pair of eagle sport on the front

That sucks. For me a week old tire as part of the pair wouldn't be an issue, as long as I got the same exact tire on the opposite side of the car.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Looks like the rim is damaged as well quite a pothole?

... Kids yell loud enough in the car, you may miss a pothole from time to time....

Originally Posted by JMJNet
It should be almost free replacement if it is covered by road hazard warranty?

My bad: bought them in 2017 without road hazard.
about $70/tire from Amazon .
New tire from JustTires (closest driving choice), about $171 (+ taxes + fees + install)

What can I say... in a Time Crunch, so just cost of having to go places....

Thank you all for your eval.

Now one question: what do you think it could be the reason , 2 sets of tires develop the sidewall cracks after 2-3 years of use at 3-4 years of manufactured date?
Mixed highway+local miles driven, amount 20k-30k miles (Total per 2-3 years), climate Midwestern with some vacations in warm places.
Have not used tire shine or similar products.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Thank you all for your eval.

Now one question: what do you think it could be the reason , 2 sets of tires develop the sidewall cracks after 2-3 years of use at 3-4 years of manufactured date?
Mixed highway+local miles driven, amount 20k-30k miles (Total per 2-3 years), climate Midwestern with some vacations in warm places.
Have not used tire shine or similar products.

Too much UV? When I gripe about it I get told that NH can have lots more UV than I would have guessed. Nature of the beast? In order to get good grippy tire yet low rolling resistance, maybe the rubber just isn't going to go 6 years without drying out excessively? Dunno.

I'm amazed that this hasn't attracted the typically anti-Michelin sidewall cracking brigade, which is always poised to lunge from their dugouts at the mere sign of a UV damaged sidewall and then write novels about how their uncle's buddy's adopted sister's best friend's nephew's step mom from Arizona had sidewall rot on the LTX she installed 8 years ago and put 5,000 miles on while primarily parked in direct sunlight and that because of this flawless anecdote, all tires from that marque are garbage and are to be avoided like the plague
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'm amazed that this hasn't attracted the typically anti-Michelin sidewall cracking brigade, which is always poised to lunge from their dugouts at the mere sign of a UV damaged sidewall and then write novels about how their uncle's buddy's adopted sister's best friend's nephew's step mom from Arizona had sidewall rot on the LTX she installed 8 years ago and put 5,000 miles on while primarily parked in direct sunlight and that because of this flawless anecdote, all tires from that marque are garbage and are to be avoided like the plague
smirk.gif

I'm sure you missed a friendly dog and a pig somewhere....
11.gif

I vote for USPS down, packets sent by air-pidgeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back