Kohler CV20 Burning Oil - New Holland LS45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I bought a used New Holland LS45 lawn tractor. Built in the early 00's, no idea how many hours on the unit. I haven't used it much until just recently and I've discovered that it burns a pretty significant amount of oil. I usually have to add about 1/3 quart every time I mow, and that's with using 20w-50.

Engine runs extremely smooth with great power. It smokes a fair bit when first started and pretty much any time you throttle up from idle. I don't notice any smoke while mowing or when the engine is running at half throttle or higher. I changed the plugs when I first got it and one plug was so carbon-fouled up, I have no idea how it even made a spark, so clearly it's burning a good bit of oil.

I did a compression test, and both cylinders tested unusually high-- around 220-230 PSI if I recall. I suspect there's a lot of deposits in the chamber that might cause compression to increase, does that sound logical?

I want to fix this mower up (I have another to use), it's a good machine and looking at it you'd think it's a brand new mower, just needs a few things and I would like to get this oil burning figured out. Is there anything that could cause this amount of oil burning that doesn't require an engine overhaul? Any common problems these Kohler engines have that could cause this?

If this engine requires major work to fix this, is it cost effective to rebuild these or is a new engine the preferred option? I suppose you could put any engine in there that has the same shaft diameter/length or are there other variables I need to consider? Curious what you guys think.

You could try soaking the cylinders with MMO to break up carbon deposits. The rings might be carbon'd stuck. Let it soak over night. Spin it over real good, put the plugs in and try it. Maybe go to 5W30 full synthetic of your choice to help free up the rings................at least that's what I would try first. Use some Berrymans in a couple tanks of fuel also.
Did you check the breather to see if it was plugged up???

Last edited:
Kohler Command are solid engines. Yours probably has over 1000 hours on it.

Parts are not bad and the engines are easy and logical to work on, built similar to most any American V8 engine.

I'd just do rings, gaskets and seals and nothing else to it.

Last edited:
With a season of mowing ahead of you, I'd try various additives to free stuck rings. Also , the compression figures are about 100 Psi high. I would review the procedure, and re-test compression. If it is indeed that high , you could carefully pour a shot glass full of water slowly down the carb with the engine hot and mid throttle. If it is just gunked up oil rings, dosing the 20w50 with diesel fuel or kerosene. May help. I re-ringed a bug motor once that had sludged rings. I probably could have just soaked the pistons in solvent .
grin2.gif

Ps, After spending the summer messing around with additives, follow LInctex's advice It is the sure fire cure.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I have a 61" Scag with a CV22S 22 hp command engine which had 3000 hours on it was very tired but ran ok. I rebuilt it and it runs like new.
It is doubtful yours has as many hours as mine so are-ring and reseal job along with a valve grind should take care of your problems.

It could be a head gasket on one side. I would not start on anything big at first.
I would run a good dose of seafoam or even one of the combustion cleaners you spray in the spark plug hole and leave over night like the ones for outboard engines. I would also get the 20-50 oil out and get some Kohler 10-30.

My CV20 with 1000 hours started using oil last year. Seafoam and going back to the original Kohler 10-30 seems to have greatly slowed the oil usage down.
Kohler says up to 1 ounce oil usage per hour is ok. 1/2 ounce per hour per cylinder.
Mine was about 2 ounces per hour and now is about an ounce every 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back