Taking the leap to self-employment.....Eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by red7404
here is an idea. make a 6 ft by 6 ft small building to put your air compressor in. to keep the noise out.

Yes sir....Going to build a "add-on" for the compressor & rarely used shop equipment.

Originally Posted by P10crew
About the only thing I watch on tv any more is the motor trend channel . There are 3 shops on that channel that are in Tejas. They all 3 have those awnings. Very nice weather down there.

Maybe they'll start farming their trans work out to Clinebarger.

I would like to thank Mueller for engineering a fantastic building & my Concrete guy for forming & pouring a square slab!!

When I was getting quotes for $6,500+ too erect the building....I was told that making it Plumb & Square was real hard & time consuming. Once I got everything bolted together.....It Plumbed itself!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It varies by location, but in some places a GTFO notice can be ignored by the renter and additional legal actions will be needed to complete the eviction. In some places the renter can keep living there with these tactics for quite some time. Hopefully in the OP's location a GTFO notice can get the eviction process completed quickly and cheaply.

Let's just say.....Texas is a Landlord friendly state & Tarrant County is a Landlord friendly county.

I fear I'm going to have to evict them, Which is very unfortunate as they are some of the better tenants I've had. There is no option to renew the Lease & They signed a document that states as much.

My one piece of advice is keep track of your smalls. Things like rags,garbage bags, brake cleaner etc, etc. Those little things will add up very fast.

Originally Posted by snarl
My one piece of advice is keep track of your smalls. Things like rags,garbage bags, brake cleaner etc, etc. Those little things will add up very fast.

I've managed a few shop operations in the past.....What you state is certainly the truth!! Consumables will eat you alive if you let them. I charge out "Shop Supplies" on every invoice with very few complaints.

As an Accountant, my advice to you is to keep a good set of books, and make sure you properly insure yourself to mitigate any losses.

Good luck! I do Accounting on the side sometimes and it is much harder than working for a company. I couldn't imagine doing it full time.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
As an Accountant, my advice to you is to keep a good set of books, and make sure you properly insure yourself to mitigate any losses.

Good luck! I do Accounting on the side sometimes and it is much harder than working for a company. I couldn't imagine doing it full time.

Thanks! I plan to have proper insurance.

The frame is 98% complete, I'm going to sub-out the R-panel & Trim installation! The quotes I've gotten of $1,500-$1,800.....It's a no-brainer!!
The $6,500 quotes to do the whole thing don't make any sense at all.....I erected the frame (mostly) by myself in 2 weeks while working 80 hours at my day job. An experienced crew of 4 could do that in @10 hours I bet??

As a mechanic....I know what it's like to be undervalued, So I don't want to pass judgement so easily, But the math doesn't add up!

[Linked Image]

Coming along nicely. If I would have looked back a few pages I would have seen the roof pitch.

Are you putting an AC unit in there, or just have some ceiling fans or those large floor fans?

Looking good! That's a nice view, too! There's not too many places to get a view like that over here near Dallas.

Got the Framing Inspection today.....The City Inspector didn't even look twice at the structure! He just questioned the property line! Just like the guy that inspected the forms/rebar/concrete....He thought the fence was the property line. Having the property Platted has definitely paid off!

The property owners next door keep pulling up the wooden stack's that mark the property line, I can't seem to catch them at the property to have a polite conversation over this issue. Soon as I demolish the rent house/fence & get the front of the property graded. I'm going to concrete/set some steel poles in the ground & tape a copy of the Platting to the poles with a nicely worded note warning of legal ramifications if these permanent markers are destroyed/removed.

That was kinda presumptuous....Could be my tenants pulling these stunts to irritate me??

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm going to sub-out the R-panel & Trim installation! The quotes I've gotten of $1,500-$1,800.....It's a no-brainer!!

Well.....That didn't work out!
One guy came out & quicky asked for $500 more than his over the phone quote & said he needed half down. I don't understand him needing money up-front as I bought/have ALL the materials?
The other 2 "Outfits" didn't even show up to give a on-site quote.

Decided to do it myself instead. Got 2 walls done in 4 hours. Once you get goin'......It's pretty easy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back