2000 Lexus RX300 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2000 Lexus rx300 AWD,with 150k. It consumes no oil, and has NO SLUDGE... many of you probably know this has the 1MZ-FE which is known for sludging with long oci's or with the use of dino. The car is driven daily by my brother who takes it easy, but I drive it a few times a week, and I have a lead foot (ie, always going to redline!).
We take many road trips, one road trip a month, usually to Michigan (1200 miles round trip), and sometimes Chicago(+2000 miles round trip).
So, what's your oil recommendation, I want to use either Mobil 1 5w-30 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-30. Both of which I have sitting in the garage currently.
The two oil filter choices are Mobil 1 filter or a PureOne.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
I personally would use the Mobil 1 oil and whichever of the two filters you can purchase at the lower price. Both are excellent. With the engine you have, I would certainly not push the oil past about 7-8,000 miles without a UOA. In two decades in various vehicles, I have never had any issues with Mobil 1, just clean engines, no oil burning and good service.

Won't matter if you stay under a 5000 mile change interval, which you should on that engine.

The long trips are good for it.

I forgot to mention my OCI is about 4,500 miles. Sometimes 5k. I already have the two filters I mentioned above.

I would go with Synpower first + purolator for 5-6k miles. After that I would try M1 + M1 filter for 6-8k. Both oils would work just fine for the reasonable interval. Just make sure to monitor oil consumption every 500-600 miles.

Have no worries about using either of those oils or filters. They are all good. You'll have no trouble with any of them. All top shelf products.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Mobil 1 5W-30. I'll let you know how it performs, I'm leaving for Michigan tomorrow so I'll know how the oil runs in this car. Then I'll be taking another road trip during Thanksgiving to Chicago. So after both of these road trips I'm going to do an oil change again, and go with the valvoline synpower.

Originally Posted by hypervish
I drive it a few times a week, and I have a lead foot (ie, always going to redline!)

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was just curious, isn't driving with a lead foot better when it comes to avoiding oil sludge than grandma's way of driving? I have really no basis for this but it just feels logically that an engine driven hard (causing the oil to run around faster) makes it harder to sludge buildups to develop? Am I on to something here or is it even the opposite?

Oh, by the way, can I run synthetic 5w40 in my RX300? Official specs wants me to use 30 viscosity at most, but would going to 40 really do that much difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back