Misfire and fuel injeection

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a modern car with fuel injection, if misfiring occurs, does engine management shut down the injector to the cylinder in question? After all, a misfire will otherwise cause unburnt fuel to get into the hot catalytic converter and ignite, likely causing damage to the converter.

I'm afraid this is old information and may not be relevant to a more recent vehicle, but I worked on a misfire detection system for a US OEM some time ago and it was a "report only" system...there was no feedback to the engine control itself, our detection data was collected and could eventually trigger a dash light coming on.
It would make sense to me to have the ECU act on such information, but I doubt that the injector would just be shut off because there would be no way to detect if it starting working again.

I suppose the amount of damage depends on the quantity of unburnt fuel that gets into the catalytic converter.

My 2013 BMW does shut off the injector to a misfiring cylinder. Its a 328i with the 3.0 six. Not sure about other cars though...

Depends on the vehicle. Recently watched a South Main Auto video on YouTube with a Dodge (maybe a Hemi Ram, I don't recall) where he demonstrated that. It's pretty clever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back