Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would advise against this.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...advisories/honduras-travel-advisory.html
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...dvisories/nicaragua-travel-advisory.html
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ountry-Information-Pages/ElSalvador.html
What a person needs to do is construct a map of "no-go" zones based on all the available info like this. That might reduce the risk.

I have one already, it includes the lower 48 and Canada.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I would never want to keep anybody from living their dream, but I will relate a story from a friend of mind that might be enlightening.
He transferred within his company from the US to Mexico City...

My wife spent a full month back in 1996 age 25 with close female friend from Texas visiting Mexico. She won't take our family there even resorts.

Mexico City she was visiting a Mexican Exchange student her family hosted previously in high school. They did not go anywhere in Mexico City without two armed body guards although former exhcange student family was wealthy. She spent the other two weeks traveling by bus and visiting ruins and beach towns.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
What a person needs to do is construct a map of "no-go" zones based on all the available info like this. That might reduce the risk.
I have one already, it includes the lower 48 and Canada.
More regional, local emphasis is often better. ... per city ... For example, talking with people from Chicago, you could highlight on a map which areas have had 90% of the shootings they are infamous for, avoiding those. ... It's a creeping problem in the U.S., and areas morph and expand at times.

In a Mexico-Central America trip, long areas of highways would be a problem. Federales are often paid to stay away when a carjackers want to stake out a highway to grab vehicles, people, and cash.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I won't even go to south Texas anymore …

I haven't even made it to northern Texas. I have family out in OK and I should go out and visit again, but dang is it a long drive--let alone going out and visiting Houston (where I have yet more family).

OMG, I had to cross "Houston" north to south the other day heading down to the bays … Two hours to get out of the city and find some country roads …

I recently drove from LV to Punta Gorda FL and back. On that stretch of I-10 between El Paso and Van Horn I thought I was IN Central America. Finally got pulled over by the Border Patrol who assured me I was on the U.S. side of the river. What threw me off was the number of cars with MX license plates.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I recently drove from LV to Punta Gorda FL and back. On that stretch of I-10 between El Paso and Van Horn I thought I was IN Central America. Finally got pulled over by the Border Patrol who assured me I was on the U.S. side of the river. What threw me off was the number of cars with MX license plates.
It is true, south TX, and anything near the border is basically part of Mexico now. Whole sections of most big cities are the same way.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I would never want to keep anybody from living their dream, but I will relate a story from a friend of mind that might be enlightening.
He transferred within his company from the US to Mexico City...

My wife spent a full month back in 1996 age 25 with close female friend from Texas visiting Mexico. She won't take our family there even resorts.

Mexico City she was visiting a Mexican Exchange student her family hosted previously in high school. They did not go anywhere in Mexico City without two armed body guards although former exhcange student family was wealthy. She spent the other two weeks traveling by bus and visiting ruins and beach towns.

I know some "characters" here at NORTHCOM who work on security at State Department in Mexico. I asked one where would be a good resort to visit, he said: Cuba
smile.gif

Let's keep the conversation where the OP asked for advice: What to bring and prepare mechanically for this trip.

Venturing into areas to avoid in the US and immigration will get this locked for political commentary.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
"Nice safe. Call me paranoid but what's to say..."

That's crossed my mind, too.

I'm also considering a security system which I forgot to mention, and surprised no one else has mentioned it

FAC30C5E-B233-49A9-98CE-06341C6DFD25.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back