Another SCORE !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GMguy84
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Man I'm jealous. I love that color. Other than the square body chevy's, those are my favorite. I might get one as a winter beater, gonna have to travel though since everything turns to rust up here and people want 6k for their rust buckets.

Oh ya I know about BAD rust lol. I grew up in Chicago/NW burbs also
wink.gif

It was hilarious every time I drove up my Oklahoma rigs for holidays, Car dealer/Flippers I visited or did business with in Chicago always offering to buy them lol

And i'm surprised you like green ?? Not my thing, I prefer Silver or Black. But once again for the price I paid. Green it was lol

Dave

I've got a thing for white cars myself lol, but that green isn't obnoxious, just a nice darker color.

04C8F386-0692-4DC6-ABCC-46B186A3C63E.jpeg

Originally Posted by 4WD
Nice green property despite them thar Mopar's …
wink.gif

lol.gif
The 200, aka torque steer monster, is my mother's, they've also got a white Caliber and a red Grand Caravan, my brother has a go mango Charger Daytona lol.

Last edited:
I started driving in the muscle car era and my oldest BiL co-owned a Mopar dealership … thinking of all the cars he came home with … 340/383/426/440 head bangers to Imperial luxury to PowerWagon doing it dirty … and the Plum Crazy paints … just laugh to see the retro cars in these colors …

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Gotta love it when a guy is excited about only 175K miles! Never understood the 1500HD model but with the 6.0 and HD suspension who cares?

Me either … has the mechanicals that make it a 2500 … what's missing ?

Good looking truck. Can't go wrong with a 6.0/4L80E

So the 2500 became the 1500HD, which is not a 2500HD

The 2500HD is a 9200lbs gross weight truck, the 1500HD is a 8600lbs gross weight truck.

The Frame is different from the in the rear section of the 1500HD, it is smaller.

The 2500HD 6.0/4L80E is a full floating American Axle 10.5 inch 14 bolt rear end. While the 2500/1500HD had a 9.5 inch semi floater rear end.

All 1500HD trucks are Crew Cabs, They lost enough payload that they couldn't technically be called a 2500. IIRC the 2500LD was offered in a Extended Cab configuration but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
All 1500HD trucks are Crew Cabs, They lost enough payload that they couldn't technically be called a 2500. IIRC the 2500LD was offered in a Extended Cab configuration but I don't recall ever seeing one.

My BIL has a 1999 2500 GMC extended cab. It is a true 2500. It is a 8600lbs GVWR according to the door sticker. Different rear end and frame from truck
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Gotta love it when a guy is excited about only 175K miles! Never understood the 1500HD model but with the 6.0 and HD suspension who cares?

Me either … has the mechanicals that make it a 2500 … what's missing ?

Good looking truck. Can't go wrong with a 6.0/4L80E

So the 2500 became the 1500HD, which is not a 2500HD

The 2500HD is a 9200lbs gross weight truck, the 1500HD is a 8600lbs gross weight truck.

The Frame is different from the in the rear section of the 1500HD, it is smaller.

The 2500HD 6.0/4L80E is a full floating American Axle 10.5 inch 14 bolt rear end. While the 2500/1500HD had a 9.5 inch semi floater rear end.

2500LD ?? You mean LD "light duty" ??

From my experience the 1500HD's are RARE !!! And so are the ones with quadrasteer !!! Well ANY GMT with quadrasteer is RARE !! lol

Dave

Nobody knows how to repair a "quadrasteer". They end up being junked-that's why they are rare.

Originally Posted by CKN
Nobody knows how to repair a "quadrasteer". They end up being junked-that's why they are rare.

i'm sure all GM STEALERship's have to but $$$$$$$$+$$$$$$$

Dave

I'm going to be the minority posting on this thread IMHO this is a terrible generation of GM truck and it has not aged well. Under powered at the time and cheaply made. I bought a 05 brand new and 11 months later the tailgate fell off. It could not get out of it's way and parts of the trim fell off it was my first new truck and I didn't keep it much longer than a year. At least the last generation of GM truck could compete in the market after a few tweaks.

But the most important consideration you seem happy and for this I'm happy for you.

From my experience the 1500HD's are RARE !!! And so are the ones with quadrasteer !!! Well ANY GMT with quadrasteer is RARE !! lol

Dave

Yes sir....The 2500LD is what the 1500HD is based on, Actually it's the exact same. The 1500HD was a very popular model in DFW....A ton of them got sold when I worked at Hudiberg (Midcities) & Moritz Ft.Worth.

Originally Posted by CKN

They are actually easy to repair...The problem lies in discontinued parts, Mostly the steering angle sensor.

My BIL has a 1999 2500 GMC extended cab. It is a true 2500. It is a 8600lbs GVWR according to the door sticker. Different rear end and frame from truck
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Correct....But, The GMT800 2500HD didn't exist in 1999, I was primarily speaking of 2001 & up 2500LD extended cab models. While I know they were offered, I have yet to see one?

Originally Posted by dave1251
I'm going to be the minority posting on this thread IMHO this is a terrible generation of GM truck and it has not aged well. Under powered at the time and cheaply made. I bought a 05 brand new and 11 months later the tailgate fell off. It could not get out of it's way and parts of the trim fell off it was my first new truck and I didn't keep it much longer than a year. At least the last generation of GM truck could compete in the market after a few tweaks.

But the most important consideration you seem happy and for this I'm happy for you.

Probably the best aging GM truck ever outside the '67-'72 generation.....I can't fathom how the tailgate fell off. Not saying they didn't have their issues though!

Last edited:

To each their own I guess ?? Have owned 8 of these body styles GM trucks and never any major issues ?? Just basic maintenance

Oddly the 05's for some reason had lots of issues ?? My brother picked up a 05 Escalade and it had TONS of little issues with it. My 05 Z71 had tons of elec issues

But my '01 Suburban 5.3 has only seen basic maintenance !! Change fluids once a year, Brakes, Shocks, Alt/Battery...Etc. I have put like 65K miles since I bought it fall 2014 with 195K miles and have driven it all over the US hauled a big trailer load from WA-OK 2000 miles and NEVER any major problems !! Aside from the horrific oil pickup tube seal that fails on these LS engines its been a GREAT truck !!!

This '03 1500HD for now is gonna be used as a basic work truck/Daily driver. Didn't need any fancy stuff like leather/Sunroof, bose and and sure as [censored] didn't want $$4wheel drive$$ cause everything is X2 price maintenance/repair wise. Learned the hard way with my Z71

Dave

Originally Posted by CKN

They are actually easy to repair...The problem lies in discontinued parts, Mostly the steering angle sensor.

OK. know that getting them fixed-for what ever reason(s) is next to impossible.

Last edited:
IIRC that tailgate was easy to steal and I put a hose clamp on that slotted side …

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

OK. know that getting them fixed-for what ever reason(s) is next to impossible.

They default to center....No reason to junk the truck over it.

Dave

Yes sir....The 2500LD is what the 1500HD is based on, Actually it's the exact same. The 1500HD was a very popular model in DFW....A ton of them got sold when I worked at Hudiberg (Midcities) & Moritz Ft.Worth.

Crazy !! I never knew this !! It took me a while but I did find this 2000 2500LD single cab long bed . As you said lots of single cabs but no ext cabs lol

Dave

[Linked Image]

You want to be more specific? 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton. 4.8? 5.3 or 6.0?

Please tell my you are not comparing it to the 4.6 or 5.4 or that time period. As far as power they could not compete. The 5.4 in a 3/4 ton or better Ford could not pull anything like a 6.0.

What was better up until 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back