How/should I remove old gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 years old and I'd be cautious. I've dealt with 10 year old gas and it was a full tank pull, carb rebuild, and a mess. You definitely do not want solids reaching the injectors.

If it were me, I'd sniff to see if it smells like fuel, crank it to see if it fires, and if it does, full tank with a conditioner and run it carefully for a few hours. If it doesn't smell like fuel, I'd take a different approach - drain everything I could, including fuel lines, pump, fuel rail. Drain the tank, and use something like a solvent fed to the pump or compressed air (set to low psi) just to get old stuff out.

Not sure how to get rid of the wasted fuel, though.?

A few weeks ago , younger son , Grand Son and I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit on our 1991 Caprice , in the driveway .

We tried to pump down the remaining gas in the tank with the HF transfer pump . Hose did not want to go thropugh / past the obstruction in the filler neck . There is a 1-1/2 " to 2" section of rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank . This was going to have to be disconnected anyway , so we did so .

Tried the HF transfer pump , again . Removed , maybe 5 gallons of gas from the tank . When we had the tank out & on the driveway , we removed the old pump / sending unit . Stuck the transfer pump suction hose into the tank , through the opening vacated by the pump / sending unit . Pumped out 1 - 2 more gallons of gas .

The more gas you remove , the lighter the tank is & easier to handle .

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I just pull off the fuel filter put a hose on the line down to a gas can and jump the fuel pump relay and pump all the gas out..

Yes this method is simple and reasonably safe. Of course it can't work if the fuel pump is bad.

Pull a small amount out of the tank
Strike a match to it 🔥
If it burns run it out
Then refill tank
That's pretty simple caveman logic

Originally Posted by meep

Not sure how to get rid of the wasted fuel, though.?

Large marinas usually have special facilities that accept contaminated fuel (either gasoline or oil). Water contamination and excessive algae are common problems in boats. There is a fee -typically about the per/gallon cost at a retail pump. The fuel gets filtered, separated and sold to factories that operate large incinerators like asphalt processing companies etc.

In a properly vented container, gasoline can go 3-6 months depending on humidity and temperature before it begins to degrade noticeably. Adding a stabilizer will extend it for 3-4 more months. Density, color etc start really changing after a year or so. I've winterized countless boats, gasoline and diesel ...the vast majority in the 300 to 1000 horsepower range.

Ray

Last edited:
We have a fire fighter training facility … they take old fuel … the one nearest to OP might as well …

I mix my old fuel in my beaters' tanks. You get the octane just low enough and you'll feel the extra ponies from the early detonation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back