'07 Tacoma V6 - M1-EP 5W-30 - 10,322 Miles/13 months. High Fe/Cr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by john_pifer
1. What about the fact that this engine has only ever had Mobil 1? Shouldn't it have kept the ringlands clean?
Good point. That kinda puzzles me. Yet, here is what pistons looked like when Mobil tested their latest & greatest M1 Annual Protection, after 120k, very black:
[Linked Image]

2. Assuming I tried your idea... If this was your truck, what kind of OCIs would you run with this Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, with the goal of freeing up the rings?
This oil is made of awesome base oils. Half POE, the rest PAO & AN, meaning it can last a while. No trouble running it for a normal (Owner's Manual recommended) oil change interval. Around 6,000 miles, and don't forget to change the oil filter out early at about 1,000 miles since some carbon may hit it.

3. How did you hear about this oil? Have you used it or known anyone who did? What about to free up rings? Did it work?
Patents & Valvoline putting it all on the line to fleet operators who need carbon cleaned off the pistons says it all. Thing about fleet sales in the HD truck segment, that is a tough audience, no nonsense is tolerated, and this stuff appears to work.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...arbon-cleaning-valvoline-premium-restore
Liberated a bunch of carbon here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...xg3506-valvoline-blue-restore-1000-miles
[Linked Image]

Interesting that you have a Tacoma and a GTI. I like sport compacts myself. Had a 2016 WRX until recently.

I'd be interested to know how that Edge 0W-40 works out for you.

Yeah, that solder joint broke way back in 2011.

Re: Power Steering: I just suck what's in the reservoir out from time to time and put fresh in.

Heh, yea I have an odd collection, atleast in my opinion. The GTI will now be reserved for the summer and good weather days. This past winter was brutal and surface rust has already started showing up...

I was going to just suck out the power steering fluid and replace it, but it was so nasty I had to flush it. Worst part was getting the return line off, it has probably never been off. After that it was strait forward. The differentials and transfer case are next, there's no telling how long ago they were done. Should be up to par after that!

IM surprised no one has noted the potassium and sodium levels. They seem to be increasing through the uoa's yet no coolant present?

Originally Posted by mattd
IM surprised no one has noted the potassium and sodium levels. They seem to be increasing through the uoa's yet no coolant present?

Thanks for the comment. I'll keep an eye on them for the next couple of OCIs.

One thing I'm wondering about. If OFM's theory of carbon buildup in the ring grooves, causing sticky rings or rings that are displaced, resulting in ring to cylinder wear, I should have noted some symptoms of oil burning.

I haven't.

No oil usage over 10K (or longer) OCIs, no smoke, no soot on exhaust pipe, no check engine light (it's NEVER come on), no oil smell... Nothing.

One thing I'm wondering about. If OFM's theory of carbon buildup in the ring grooves, causing sticky rings or rings that are displaced, resulting in ring to cylinder wear, I should have noted some symptoms of oil burning.
Not necessarily. There are 3 rings. The middle one keeps oil consumption down. The top one is mostly for compression sealing. With that small amount of chromium in the oil, it could be the top ring is the carboned-up culprit, leaving the middle ring still twisting properly and preventing too much oil to get on the cylinder walls (scraper there works).

[Linked Image]

I don't know any pistons with 200,000+ miles on them that wouldn't have some carbon on them. I plan on using Valvoline Premium Blue Restore every 75,000 miles as a preventative.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Not necessarily. There are 3 rings. The middle one keeps oil consumption down. The top one is mostly for compression sealing. With that small amount of chromium in the oil, it could be the top ring is the carboned-up culprit, leaving the middle ring still twisting properly and preventing too much oil to get on the cylinder walls (scraper there works).

[Linked Image]

I don't know any pistons with 200,000+ miles on them that wouldn't have some carbon on them. I plan on using Valvoline Premium Blue Restore every 75,000 miles as a preventative.

Hmm. Well, I certainly can't disagree. What you're saying could very well be the case.

One other thing I've been thinking about -

Just wondering if there could be some corrosion in there somewhere that could be causing the high iron.

There's nothing that leads me to believe that; just sorts wondering aloud. I know that can happen if the oil additives that are designed to control acids, break down.

If you can't reduce your idling then I would just continue what you are currently doing and enjoy the truck. No need to add anything to the oil or change.

I think that at 212K miles, no-one would think poorly of you for trying a high mileage oil. Try M1 10w-30 High Mileage with its 3.5 HTHS. It's not as if you live somewhere where you might benefit from a 5w-30.

Originally Posted by 4WD
M1 10w30 HM in the summer would be thicker and stable …

Completely agree!! You could add a splash of LUBEGARD Biotech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back