Ceramic vs semi-metallic for delivery driving in hot temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brake fade doesn't happen in everyday driving
smile.gif

You might like the EBC Ultimax "Blackstuff" pads. Also, the Raybestos EHT pads have become popular on here.

Brake fade happens when you are descending a mountain road, like the 3000+ foot drop from Sequoia National Park. Best thing to do is use engine braking, and pull off periodically to let your brakes cool down. I saw one car where the rotors were glowing and the brakes smelled burned. Fortunately they had pulled off before they lost all all stopping power.

Just put some premium-grade pads on it when it's due for the next brake service. Use the same material the is spec'd as OEM (probably ceramic).

Just put some premium-grade pads on it when it's due for the next brake service. Use the same material the is spec'd as OEM (probably ceramic).

I'd tend towards something with a metallic formulation to reduce glazing. For fading however you'll need to look into finding a brake fluid with a higher boiling point. do your research there, there can be pros and cons to moving away from oem spec fluid, with some options on the fringe that can be costly if you choose poorly.

Chances are, however, as long as you are driving with reasonable values and normal blood pressure, you won't over-tax the stock brakes. I'd probably pay more attention to keeping the mechanicals clean, coolant and oil levels, rubber belts and hoses good.

-m

Originally Posted by Whammo
As a delivery driver who drives in stop and go conditions all day, what brake pads are most resistant to brake fade/glazing and very hot temperatures?

This blog post says ceramics are a great defense against brake fade but that is the opposite of what I have heard in the past: https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/pros-and-cons-of-ceramic-brakes.aspx

If your brakes are fading in city driving, something is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back