Longest Lasting 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem.

So you're basing your entire truck buying choices on whether or not the engine has an air flow meter? I think more people here complain about the stop/start feature.

Active Fuel Management, ya dingus.

HAHA, OP wasn't clear then.

Originally Posted by E365
If you're really in NY and get road salt, I'd get an F-150 for the aluminum body if you want a LONG term truck. Mechanical stuff can all be easily fixed. Once the body rusts out, it's toast (or at least ugly as sin and only will get worse).

Is the frame aluminum too?

If you're really in NY and get road salt, I'd get an F-150 for the aluminum body if you want a LONG term truck. Mechanical stuff can all be easily fixed. Once the body rusts out, it's toast (or at least ugly as sin and only will get worse).

They still rust.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best bet is bi-annual oil sprays. Doesn't matter what the body panels are made out of.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Is the frame aluminum too?

Nope.

[Linked Image]

Buy what you like the best. If you are going to live with it a long time, you want something you like.

Who wants a vehicle that will last to 1 million miles if those miles are miserable?

Pretty much any offering will last 250k miles, pick the one that gives you the most joy when driving/using it.

Here is what I am considering for my next vehicle:

2019 Silverado Custom, 5.3 without AFM, 6-speed auto, 4x4 & locking rear diff

Custom trim has minimal options, with less things to go wrong. The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem. The GM 6 speed is a great trans, as is their locking rear end. I am not sure about the single speed transfer case, but I imagine it is fine.

Thoughts? Any better trucks out there to consider in the 30k price range?

So this is an unanswerable question.
It's like asking "What is the best tasting beer?"
You'll only get lots and lots of opinions.

Do your own research, make your own decision. Live with your decision.
cheers3.gif

A 3.5L Ecoboost with regular oil changes will reach nearly 400K miles without difficulty. The aluminum body is much more corrosion resistant than steel. It's also possible to STOP aluminum corrosion, where it is often not possible to stop rust.

My suggestion is to purchase the truck you like the most, and are most comfortable in. That way, you like driving it for all those miles. As all of the trucks will achieve high miles with regular service.

Last edited:
I went down this thought path and ended up with a new 2018 Nissan Titan S. Well established 5.6 (with DI), no cylinder monkey business, 7 spd. , rubber floor, steel wheels, minimal tech. Only option was a utility pkg with receiver, factory spray-in bedliner, and a small overhead console. Already liking it more after the 9 month old puppy spewed on the floor in back after a 2 hour ride and it was a simple wipe up. The sides and back of the seats are a textured vinyl, dog hair won't embed in it. My interior cleaning got a whole lot easier. It's a truck.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Tundra with the 5.7L.

No DI, no variable cylinder management. 10-yr old platform. Super reliable.

Yep best truck I've owned I have had all the big 3 I'd never look at another one again Tundra with 5.7 for me.

Originally Posted by Cujet
A 3.5L Ecoboost with regular oil changes will reach nearly 400K miles without difficulty. The aluminum body is much more corrosion resistant than steel. It's also possible to STOP aluminum corrosion, where it is often not possible to stop rust.
My suggestion is to purchase the truck you like the most, and are most comfortable in.

I have 190K on my F150 (2008) and all I have ever, ever changed was the alternator. (not counting brakes, etc.)

I'll try for sure to reach 400,000... should be too hard.

Not sure what I'll buy after this one.

They sell a new 1/2 ton truck with a single-speed transfer case?? I had no idea. I thought that went away with my 75 f-100.. haha

I just bought a 2016 Ram and I've been pleased with it so far. I have never been able to perceive the cylinder deactivation, on the new chevy/gmc's I've been in its very noticeable. Ford has start stop which is a deal-breaker for me, don't care if i can push a button every time I start up to make it go away.

I like the Ford F-150 5.0. You can buy a ranger device which will keep the AFM disabled all the time. Lots of Corvette owners buy these for their cars to disable the AFM.

You can't buy any vehicle thinking that it'll do 250K with no problems at all.
You can only look for one that seems less likely to give problems.
It is also fallacious to think that simplicity equals reliable and durable.
Malcom Bricklin imported a couple of very basic cars a couple of decades apart, the Subaru 360 (as in cc displacement) and the Zastava Yugo.
Both were very simple cars as compared to contemporary offerings in the US and both were junk.
Simple doesn't equal good. Good engineering and component quality do.
To answer your opening post, I'd go with a Ford myself, although I don't have enough need for a pickup to actually buy one.

The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem.

Why does the lack of AFM mean you can go 250k? I'm asking bcuz while I've heard of AFM, it is still new to me. I drive a Tacoma
smile.gif

Last edited:
I posted the window sticker to show they still offer both a single speed and two speed Xfer Case

You don't need 4WD low range unless you are pulling stumps out of the ground or off-roading in rugged terrain, rock climbing, loose sand, or mud holes. I never used the low range during the entire time that I had mine.

I use low range most often in deep sand or to pull out a stuck vehicle …
Sometimes I just select it thinking of the transmission …

Also, on mine it was part of the tow package … what if you backed your heavy trailer too far ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back