Rock Song Or Band Your Tired Of Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with a lot of you and my list would be to long but the one band I've been tired of hearing for the longest time is anything by the Beatles. I can't get to the dial fast enough when one comes on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Anything from Rush, In This Moment, and Imagine Dragons will make me change the channel immediately. I have Sirius that I listen to all day at work so I have about 20 channels as favorites.

I am thinking about re-upping my subscription to Sirius for long summer road trips, but what I noticed about the last time i had it (last summer) is that (on my fave channel, "Outlaw Country" at least) they DO seem to have either 'play lists', or just keep repeating WHOLE shows by their DJs many multiple times.
frown.gif

The whole reason for having their service, to me at least, is to actually get some variety, and hear something different, within a given genre.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
the one band I've been tired of hearing for the longest time is anything by the Beatles.

Same here....Such an overated band imo. The song writing is terrible. I do like Pauls solo stuff tho

I have to agree with the sentiments of many others that current radio has ruined a lot of classic rock songs for me by just playing them way, way too much. Guns N Roses is probably the best example I can think of personally. I liked GnR a lot growing up, but a lot of their hits have become like nails on a chalkboard to me over the last decade or so because they are played so much.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by earlyre
"steal my sunshine" by LEN.. it came out the summer after i got out of HS, was super popular, my friends all loved it, ...

Not sure that I've ever heard that song on the radio. I learned it from the movie Go.

I remember that song being on the radio and MTV a TON in '99/'00, then I didn't hear it again for over a decade. I stumbled across it a few years ago going down a YouTube rabbit hole and immediately remembered the song and video. I actually like it more now than I did, and I didn't hate it initially, it just got tons of airplay at the time so I got burned out on it and never sought it out. Now I have a sort of nostalgia for it, along with other formerly overplayed songs of the era like "Nookie" by Limp Bizkit and "Freak on a Leash" by Korn.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Anything from Rush, In This Moment, and Imagine Dragons will make me change the channel immediately.

X2, especially Imagine Dragons. I have never really liked any Imagine Dragons song, but it developed into full blown hatred when they were getting heavy air play around 2013-14 and I was a delivery driver. I cannot listen to "Radioactive" at all. Bunch of terrible drum banging and hipster noises.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I rarely listen to anything other than NPR on the radio when driving these days since the ratio of mindless talk full of sexual innuendo to music is simply too high.

I listen to NPR and some other talk radio, but I usually have to change the channel if they start playing music. NPR does not need to play music.
lol.gif
I suppose I will make an exception for "Echoes," the electronica/new age/whatever show.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Anything by Nickelback!

That really should have been the beginning and end of the thread.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by wag123
All of the corporate "classic rock" radio stations have been playing songs from them hourly for years on end. If you think that I'm exaggerating, tune in to one of these radio stations and time how long it takes for them to play something from one of these three, it usually only takes about 20-30 minutes. I used to like them but the radio stations have "worn me out". This is why I don't listen to classic rock radio stations anymore.

That really gets me, too. Many of these classic bands have a very large library of good songs, many of which were also hits. No, to hear these classic radio stations, you'd think Hendrix had two songs, Boston had two, Pink Floyd maybe had two (three on a long boring night), Judas Priest had one, and so did the Beatles, and Queen had three. This isn't the era where a radio station has to keep a room full of LPs or CDs. Royalties have gone down. You can't play more songs?

Your mention of Heart is a perfect example. Depending on the radio station, you'll hear only "Barracuda" and "Magic Man" or "What about Love" and "Never" depending upon the station's focus, and a 90s song only an outlier. Oh, and the Stones did more than "Start Me Up" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Painted Black." I know that's hard for programming directors to grasp. The Ramones did more than "I Wanna Be Sedated" and even hearing "Blitzkrieg Bop" is a miracle.

Originally Posted by Fifth87
Strangely never get tired of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin

Both are really meant to be listened to by full album in a sitting, rather than a "Stairway to Heaven" DJ bathroom break.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Uh, ALL of them?

Back in Black

Sweet Home Alabama

Love in an Elevator

Bennie and the Jets

Beat it!

Another Brick in the Wall

Don't Fear The Reaper

Hotel California

Angie

Superstition

Slow Ride

Jump

Nights in White Satin

Go your own way

You ain't seen nothing yet ... I could go on for hours !

Give me a Tchaikovsky Symphony or a Nice Brahms Serenade any day.

No Mozart!

You covered it quite well. I could almost feel my ears retracting back into my skull as I read this list.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Blinded by the light.
Woke up by a douche in the middle of the night.
Revved up like a Duce, another runner in the night
That is the #1 suck song of all time. Or anything by Nickelback.

Manfred Mann and his Earth band....

Though interestingly, the song was written by Bruce Springsteen.....

I believe this because it's one of the most Springsteen sounding songs ever that wasn't performed by him.

And yes, nobody knows what that line actually says. Fewer know what it means. I think the relevance of '32 Ford hot rods was well into decline by then.

Originally Posted by csandste
Least favorite song in my 74 years? My Baby Takes The Morning Train. Makes me want to pull out my lungs through my urethra.

Seinfeld used that song to great effect however.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I have to agree with a lot of you and my list would be to long but the one band I've been tired of hearing for the longest time is anything by the Beatles. I can't get to the dial fast enough when one comes on.

Thank you.

I respect the Beatles for who they are and what they did. I also respect the fact that Beatles music basically sound tracked seriously amazing and memorable moments for an entire generation.

But.....

The music is NOT that great. I'm glad people loved it and enjoyed it, but that music needs a rest.

There are two things I hope I never do in my life:

1. Try and shove music relevant to my era down the throats of future generations expecting them to have the EXACT amount of appreciation I had
2. Treat people as if they are stupid or uneducated because they don't immediately understand and appreciate music of my era EXACTLY how I did

I also give permission to all citizens of the planet Earth to end my life on the spot if I ever tell someone they "Don't know anything about that" in reference to an old song.

grin.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by sloinker
Blinded by the light.
Woke up by a douche in the middle of the night.
Revved up like a Duce, another runner in the night
That is the #1 suck song of all time. Or anything by Nickelback.

Manfred Mann and his Earth band....

Though interestingly, the song was written by Bruce Springsteen.....

I believe this because it's one of the most Springsteen sounding songs ever that wasn't performed by him.

And yes, nobody knows what that line actually says. Fewer know what it means. I think the relevance of '32 Ford hot rods was well into decline by then.

I think threads like this are interesting because they offer people's perceptions of things that might be different than yours. I'm not sure of the meaning of the bolded bit above...but I would never accuse Manfred Mann's version of being "Springsteen sounding". It's different instrumentation, different chorus, not really a shuffle like Springsteen's..unless you just mean lyrically.

I remember Mann's version as being one of the first overplayed songs that I switched the dial on and I did the same thing when Springsteen's original version came on. I also remember the "outrage" around this cover version with some Springsteen fans I knew and nobody else seemed to care.

The year after I graduated from high school the Carpenters released Please Mr Postman. The local radio stations were playing that song about three times an hour. Around that same time I came to the realization that music was changing and it was not what I wanted to listen to any longer.

Originally Posted by Malo83
RUSH that guys voice drives me up the wall.
crazy2.gif

Thank you.

I also an not a big fan of Pink Floyd.

Also, and this is not a popular opinion, but I feel like the Beatles are the original boy band.

I like some of their stuff it is not all bad, but I get tired of them

Last edited:
I simply cannot stand anything from Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, or Willie Nelson. I have no idea why they each have such a cult following.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
There must be a reason that those songs of 40 years ago, or longer still get so much airplay these days.

A lot of ground breaking and pioneering happened during these periods. A lot of shaping and developing. Significant these songs are.

Doesn't mean everyone has to like them though.
wink.gif

And for the other poster, yes, I meant lyrically.

There must be a reason that those songs of 40 years ago, or longer still get so much airplay these days.

A lot of ground breaking and pioneering happened during these periods. A lot of shaping and developing. Significant these songs are.

wink.gif

And to add to that, there's still a large chunk of the population that came from that era, which means there's money in playing it.

Originally Posted by The_Eric

wink.gif

And to add to that, there's still a large chunk of the population that came from that era, which means there's money in playing it.

I think you are probably correct. Money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back