Need info on modern shark fin style antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
Most of these new systems will play nice with an old-school antenna. If you decide to get a shark fin or a OEM type AM/FM/SiriusXM antenna, it will need to have power for the antenna amp/booster. The radio's remote turn on leads(blue & blue/white on aftermarket radios) or a relay wired to activate off an ignition-switched circuit will work to provide +12V.

I think finding a deck to fit into that truck is more of a challenge though, I recall GM used a weird setup before they changed the interior on the 1996-1999 trucks that used the standard Delco radio. I think a nice Alpine/Clarion/JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer can fit into the bigger dash space.

Nice truck BTW, it looks like the 454SS. I think the GMT400s are the best looking truck GM put out.

Good info on the antenna stuff, thanks. As to the weird Chevy/GMC units in these old trucks, RetroSound makes a replacement with modern technology.

Here's a link to the unit at Crutchfield for anyone interested: Retrosound Santa Cruz player

That looks pretty [censored] good for something that isn't all bling-bling. I've seen pics of guys modding the dashes of the 1996-1999 trucks to fit a double-DIN unit. It has that "stock" look that doesn't make you a target.

Just in case you want CarPlay/Android Auto, Pioneer is making a new "modular" system of multimedia receivers with remote screen mounting capabilities. It works almost like that Retrosound - except the human interface portion isn't an exact fit for your dash. Some fabrication required. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Digital+Media+Receivers/DMH-C2500NEX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back