180k and it didn't need a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Preventative maintenance imo is never a waste.
I over maintained my wifes 2002 powerstroke like I was keeping it forever and my Wife bought a new truck and I could have minimally maintained it and still sold it for the same amount. Yeah some one would join BITOG and post I bought a 2002 Powerstroke with the engine all sludged up, how can I clean it up. But no some guy will buy the truck that I did a 1000 mine initial oil change on the drive line and transmission then every 30,000 miles and an initial 250 mile oil and filter change on the engine and didn't go over 5.000 miles per oil and filter change, I even flushed out the power steering system 3 times and say boy did I get a deal .I changed the trans and differential oils 2 months ago ! I am a caboose ! Even worse I put a pyrometer in it and instructed my wife to down shift if it gets close to 1200* and let it cool down to under 400*f. I am so upset at myself.

I must say, I've never seen a "slugged" HEUI 7.3L.....They don't like dirty/sheared oil, They will lose power/run rough if oil changes are neglected.

You did preventative maintenance 90K is a good time to change Dex VI IMO. I would like to have access to a lift, but it is a perk of your profession.

I tend to change every 50,000 miles on an automatic transmission. You can change fluid in a manual transmission and when you look at it everything looks
great. Then when you start to shift gears it's like shifting through butter and it's a major difference. I tend to think it's somewhat the same with an automatic transmission. I would rather be safe than sorry. Your filter looks really good for the miles.

My babied 2003 K1500 Silverado has 45K miles on it. I did a cooler line flush after draining with TES295 Dex 3 at 25K and 45K, and haven't had the pan off yet. I'm hoping my filter is clean, and your results suggest it might be.

The fluid likely was spent after those miles. Maybe the flush removed the debris or deposited it elsewhere.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
700R4/4L60/4L60E units run VERY clean 'til they start to fail. If you see a lot of clutch debris in the pan.....It's days are numbered!

Tell me about it. Had one go from clean to a half inch of metal shards in the pan inside of a week.

Most people don't seem to understand that clean oil and filter helps the trans last as long as possible. When a parts breaks it usually isn't the oil.

Chris, there was NOTHING on the magnet even?

As great as that sounds, that would freak me out a bit. I've never seen one without at least black goo on it.

My company work truck has roughly the same mileage. Trans never serviced as far as I know. Fluid has been slightly dark for a couple years now, no change. Shifts fine. I would like to service it but the owners feel like the truck should be on it's last legs even though it's not, so they don't want to do anything not safety related. 2005 Silverado 4L60E.

Have seen them go 200k to 400k no issues …

Mine were always clean inside …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back