Canister filter observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil change on car with a canister filter. The media was twisted and I'm wondering if the canister was on too tight or if the filter doesn't quite fit right or if it's normal.

[Linked Image]

Also unlike a spin on filter a lot of grit and crud remains behind in the housing. I tried cleaning a lot of it out. Can that grit get back in the engine somehow if I don't clean it out? Is cleaning out the housing something I should always do for a canister set up? Can I use carb cleaner?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Nice Pics and good observations. That stuff on the bottom were your filter goes can't be good.

I agree.

That crud is dangerously close to getting into the "clean" oil hole.

GM Ecotec motor? Happens all the time.

OEM seem to be the best bet for not twisting like that.
I have done it several times in my mom's Vue with the 2.2. Only 1 (a NAPA Pro-Select) was straight when it came out.

That's the 2.2/2.4 Ecotec cartridge. They almost always buckle
mad.gif

Most aftermarket cartridges are either poorly designed or poorly manufactured.

The best cartridges to use on that Ecotec are:
Mann HU 6007x
Hengst E630H (the OE supplier)
Purflux L264A (used to be the OE supplier)
ACDelco PF457G or PF458G (made by Hengst) The 457G is ONLY the filter, no O-ring. The 458G includes the O-ring and cap

The Napa Platinum/Wix XP might also be good, and they were on sale last month for $4.99 at Napa. The wire-backed media should prevent them from buckling.

Purflux was the original OE supplier when the Ecotec first came out. The Purflux has those (intentionally) wavy pleats. It is also more resistant to buckling.

Three tips: make sure you lubricate BOTH O-rings when installing the new filter, and install the cartridge in the cap before screwing the cap on to the block. And finally, use the correct torque as indicated on the cap!

Seems a bit of twisting on most cartridge filters seen here is normal. The element needs to be squeezed tight on both ends to ensure a good seal, so as the cap is tightened down near the end of it's travel it's going to put some slight twist on the element.

That's a lot of grit on the dirty side of the system. I'd be covering the housing inlet/outlet holes before cleaning up that debris.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Seems a bit of twisting on most cartridge filters seen here is normal. The element needs to be squeezed tight on both ends to ensure a good seal, so as the cap is tightened down near the end of it's travel it's going to put some slight twist on the element.
In a different application, I've used 3 cartridge brands so far, and none of them twisted or collapsed at all.

They not only "need to be squeezed tight on both ends to ensure a good seal," but also need to be squeezed uniformly all the way around on both ends to ensure a good seal----a neglected issue.

Look at the centre tube. Does it run completely from one end cap to the other or is it short, letting the media alone take the spring load applied by the cap? Some manufactures use a complete centre tube. Forget who, but I've seen them. Might be worth a try. The carbon is probably from piston blow by. My guess is the engine is using oil.
Time for a Fram Ultra . XG9018

I hate these kind of oil filters as the dirt can drop in the hole. i rather have a screw on type so all the dirt and crud drops down and away from the hole.

i rather have a screw on type so all the dirt and crud drops down and away from the hole.

And the rush of hot dirty oil is guaranteed to wash away the crud as it trickles down your arm and into your face! I agree, there are certain advantages to the vertical spin-on on the bottom of the engine, but there are disadvantages too. Would be nice to be able to do oil filter changes without having to crawl under the car on ramps.

I believe the title should read "cartridge" filter observations, as the filter shown is the cartridge that goes in the housing or canister. Canister or spin on type synonymous.

As for topic cartridge filter, as noted this looks to be an Ecotec engine cartridge filter application. If one has read this board, ecotec cartridge applications tend to show some squished and/or twisted appearance post use. This one doesn't look too bad.

Best Ecotec cartridge here has been the ACDelco Hengst US made cartridge, but even some of those not immune from the phenomenon. And that applies no matter how (order, method) the cartridge installed in housing. New ACDelco oem ecotec cartridge no longer shows Hengst ID on endcap, now has different color media and endcap type, wraps over media ends. Not saying it's not fine, just unconvinced it's still Hengst made.

As for junk left in housing, personally I would not use carb cleaner or at least not spray it directly in the housing. I'd just use a paper shop towel (eg., Scott) or two and clean it as best I could. Then install new cartridge and leave it at that.

We have 110k on the Cruze … have always used AC Delco (rebadge) or buy Hengst online. Not one came out with the wave issue I have seen posted here. (running about 6k/filter)
I stab the collet and snap the filter into the cap first … and wonder how many got crushed being out of line and effectively too long by not doing that ? A 24mm socket is normally made for a larger drive …

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As for topic cartridge filter, as noted this looks to be an Ecotec engine cartridge filter application. If one has read this board, ecotec cartridge applications tend to show some squished and/or twisted appearance post use. This one doesn't look too bad.

I'm really not sure why some OEMs and filter manufacturers are having issues with this. My god daughter's Benz has a cartridge filter, and I've never seen the slightest pleat wave. So many other ones we've seen here routinely look like someone sat on them. Either some OEMs should stick to ordinary spin ons or some filter manufacturers need to go back to the drawing board.

Perhaps each "sat on" filter needs to be mailed to the head of engineering of the OEM in question.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
On some GM cartridges you put the filter into the cap/cover first then install on engine.

No experience, just what I've read.

My 2¢

That's the way it came out in the pic. And that's the way I put it back in

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Sayjac

I'm really not sure why some OEMs and filter manufacturers are having issues with this. My god daughter's Benz has a cartridge filter, and I've never seen the slightest pleat wave. So many other ones we've seen here routinely look like someone sat on them. Either some OEMs should stick to ordinary spin ons or some filter manufacturers need to go back to the drawing board.

Perhaps each "sat on" filter needs to be mailed to the head of engineering of the OEM in question.

This has to do with aftermarket manufacturer specs. OEM filters are the best bet for canister applications. The same thing happens on BMWs if you use a Mobil 1, Fram, or a few other brands. The Ford 6.0L diesel is especially bad about this. Using the wrong filter has caused engine melt downs.

that appears to be wavy, not twisted. Typical when moisture is present in the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back