Does rolling coal damage catalytic converters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I guess I'm old, I see no point in doing it.
21.gif

30 years old here here and I can't understand it either.

If it wouldn't affect negatively other drivers or bystanders I wouldn't care, but it does. Same for obnoxiously loud harleys after 10 pm.

I feel like a grumy old man after writting that, haha

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
makes their truck run like garbage to TRIGGER THE LIBS

It should trigger everybody that doesn't like cancer.Diesel exhaust is carcinogenic.

My recollection was that gasoline exhaust was no better, just minus the particulates (which GDI now has). Been too long but when I contemplated buying my TDi I did some reading into the whole thing and wasn't convinced that the differences between the types of exhaust was massively different. Very different emissions with different environmental impacts.

My TDI would "roll coal" bone stock. If I drove it like a granny for a couple of tanks then got on it, it'd blow black. Not a huge amount and not for blocks, but it was there.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I guess I'm old, I see no point in doing it.
21.gif

It's right up there with doing burnouts or ripping through a mud puddle. I'm guessing it's something you enjoy doing, or not. Although at least in a muddle you're eventually through it (having done something) whereas the other two activities just waste fuel and tires and are environmentally questionable. [But is there anything about cars that isn't?]

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
... Seems like something a High School boy would do .
The kind of high school boy who makes a sport of vandalizing stop signs and mailboxes. Fortunately, most high school boys are not that irresponsible.

Some turbo diesels will do it with standard or 2-stage air filters- my ‘06 Cummins Ram would spew a small cloud on kick down at lower speeds (even with a standard factory tune), but an aftermarket filter (S&B) cleared it up.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by xtell
Please excuse me for interrupting the thread but I have a question. What do the guys do to their trucks to make them belch out the black smoke. Is it some modification to the engine or a particular way they rev the engine? I've seen trucks that do it but I don't know how they can do it.

It's usually done via a chip tune that intentionally makes their truck run like garbage to TRIGGER THE LIBS (and put a salve on their own incredibly fragile and easily wounded masculinity)

I was about to say that - it's simple overfueling combined with an EGR delete and physically removing the DPF/SCR.

Now some diesels, like older Mercedes OM616/617 and Detroit 2-strokes(53/71/92/149 series) will always roll some coal.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I hope they get a big fine for messing with pollution controls. Ed

It's always been illegal to tamper with vehicle emissions equipment for both drivers and mechanics, but usually difficult to catch people on. In the case of coal rollers, however, it would be incredibly easy to catch them. The problem is, of course, is that the venn diagram of people who think rolling coal is cool and people who have at least one blue lives matter bumper sticker is pretty much a perfect circle so you shouldn't expect much to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back