Longest Lasting 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I am considering for my next vehicle:

2019 Silverado Custom, 5.3 without AFM, 6-speed auto, 4x4 & locking rear diff

Custom trim has minimal options, with less things to go wrong. The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem. The GM 6 speed is a great trans, as is their locking rear end. I am not sure about the single speed transfer case, but I imagine it is fine.

Thoughts? Any better trucks out there to consider in the 30k price range?

Tundra with the 5.7L.

No DI, no variable cylinder management. 10-yr old platform. Super reliable.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Tundra with the 5.7L.

What years? I haven't heard very good things about those trucks as they age. Even Scotty Kilmer said to avoid them, haha.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Tundra with the 5.7L.

What years? I haven't heard very good things about those trucks as they age. Even Scotty Kilmer said to avoid them, haha.

My parents have a 2000 Tundra 4wd with 120k. Scotty is an absolute moron.

The frame was replaced on Toyota dime. The upside is Toyota charged parts only for brand new exhaust and one hour labor to swap out timing belt as engine exposed.

The only issues encountered over 20 years:
* Starter which is expensive due to location in engine
* power steering fittings and hoses rotten so $500 fix needed currently
* it has some surface rust
* fuel filler door broke off(common).

See if on the towing package you get the locker and a 2 speed transfer case …
(And better cooling etc)
Before the 2019 change that was the case …

Originally Posted by 4WD
See if on the towing package you get the locker and a 2 speed transfer case …
(And better cooling etc)
Before the 2019 change that was the case …

They changed it for 2019.

Even with trailering package you can only get the single speed transfer case.

Custom trim has minimal options, with less things to go wrong. The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem. The GM 6 speed is a great trans, as is their locking rear end. I am not sure about the single speed transfer case, but I imagine it is fine.

I'm about 99.9% sure you cannot obtain a 5.3 without AFM. The two choices you have is the new Dynamic fuel management available in the upscale trims and transmissions and the old Active fuel management available on WT type optioned trucks with the 6 speed.

Last edited:
Our 2001 Tundra V8 has almost 200K, but pretty easy miles overall.
No issues, just regular services. I never check the oil.
Never seen the inside of a garage, paint and interior are really good.

The brakes on the early models like mine are undersized.

Last edited:
Tundra with the 5.7L.

2007 was the redesign and brought in the 5.7 (which is timing chain). The 4.7 had a timing belt and was replaced in 2010 by the 4.6 (which has a timing chain and is a destroked 5.7); the 4.7 only got a 5AT while 4.6 & 5.7 are 6AT (neither trans is known for having issues). The 4.6 & 5.7 can have water pump leaks; cam towers can leak oil. Front diff had problems, forget the range but it was like 2007 through 2011 (bad bearing preload so it chews up a bearing). Steering racks was bad in a similar timeframe. I think there might be a TSB for bed bolts now. 2007-2013 I don't think is known for rotting frames--but it's a Toyota, you know it'll rust pretty good. 2014 was a sheetmetal refresh with the same drivetrain. 4.6 does not get better mpg than the 5.7 so it's not worth getting (but it will do most anything you want, just slower). No rear locker / limited slip, but it will pull brake lines to control wheel slip. At least for my year the VSC is very intrusive and driving in snow usually has me turn TC & VSC off else it gets stuck too easily. Snow tires are must on this thing! Clinebarger points out that starters are not trivial to replace. Skidplate has to come off to remove oil filter, and it's a cartridge design that no one here likes. Holds 8 quarts of oil too.

Mine has been ok. Front diff had to be rebuilt around 80k (warranty repair). Serpentine tensioner got noisy. Had to replace it and do a throttle valve cleaning around the same time (110k or so). I did the plugs at the same time and found at least one spark plug tube was leaking. Had a rear caliper seize around 130k. Paint chips easily.

Thirsty beast, I think mine is averaging 17mpg right now, but I don't drive it a lot. I saw 21mpg with some hypermile tricks, but it refused to do better than 16 in winter on snow tires.

Originally Posted by Tman220

I'm about 99.9% sure you cannot obtain a 5.3 without AFM. The two choices you have is the new Dynamic fuel management available in the upscale trims and transmissions and the old Active fuel management available on WT type optioned trucks with the 6 speed.

Yeah, you're correct. I saw the 5.3 without DFM listed and thought that was what they were calling the AFM now.

Did they fix the early issues with it? Anyone know?

easy that has to be the chevy silverado, because they said so.
grin2.gif

I saw a commercial recently that said there are more Dodge Ram trucks still on the road after 10 years than any other make. Hmmmmm

Simplest mechanically? Tundra.

Longest lasting? Depends on the owner.

Scotty Kilmer talks a lot.

Doesn't always make sense.

The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem.

So you're basing your entire truck buying choices on whether or not the engine has an air flow meter? I think more people here complain about the stop/start feature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
The lack of AFM on the 5.3 means this should go 250,000 miles without a problem.

So you're basing your entire truck buying choices on whether or not the engine has an air flow meter? I think more people here complain about the stop/start feature.

Active Fuel Management, ya dingus.

Originally Posted by atikovi

AFM=Active Fuel Management. This is GM's term for cylinder deactivation. Runs on 4 cylinders when deactivated.

My Z71 spends very little time in 4 banger mode …
not sure if that's better for the engine … but is what it is

If you're really in NY and get road salt, I'd get an F-150 for the aluminum body if you want a LONG term truck. Mechanical stuff can all be easily fixed. Once the body rusts out, it's toast (or at least ugly as sin and only will get worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back