oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to do my 3rd oil change on my truck. Had it a year hitting 25K miles already. Love this truck, nice ride, great mileage and plenty of umph for my needs.
Got the Pentastar 3.6... Using Mobil 0w20 and mopar filter. The oil change monitor thingie seems to want me to go 10K between oil changes.
Anyone here with this engine what's your preferred oil? How long do you go between changes. I've been taking it to about 8K.

I've got the Pentastar in the wife's '14 minivan. I've never had the monitor go off. When I was using dino oil I would go 5K between changes using Valvoline 5W20 and a Mopar filter. I switched to Ravenol synthetic and went 7k on that oil. Will probably wait until the OLM goes off next time. Still using the Ravenol and Mopar filters.

I used Napa Semi synthetic 5w20 for first change then at 9000 I went with Havoline ProDs 5w20. I think I am going to stay with 5k with driving I do. The Havoline is Chrysler certified for 10k. I only have 700 miles on this change with last 400 on a rare road trip with several hard acceleration times so not a real test. Motor is quiet and smooth. Lots of my driving is under 45 mph with rpms in the 1000 rpm range with econ on. Love this engine so far. 20 mpg average.

2018 Grand Caravan
9773 miles

If warranty is a consideration, Mobil 1 doesn't have Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

I have the 3.6L in my 2016 Rubicon, I use PU 5W30 and a Fram Ultra filter. My OLM is currently @ 53% with 4,411 miles since the last oil change. I ignore it. UOAs show a TBN of 2.9 after 5K miles. 3,980 mile OCI had a TBN of 3.9. I'm not going to tempt fate and follow it.
27.gif

On my 15 Caravan, I started with Pennzoil platinum 5w-20. Dumped the FF @ 2600 miles. I've gone as long at 7000 miles on the PP recently switched or Valvoline synthetic 5w-20 for winter and now running VWB 5w-30. Also switched over to Fram Ultra for the oil filter which I keep on for two OCI.

I'll use VWB in the warm motnths and Valvoline synthetic for winter months. I'll stick with 5w-30. The engine is quieter with 5w-30. Since the VWB is cheap at WM, I'll change it more frequently 4000 miles max.

I know people get worried about warranty issues, but can possibly go wrong if you are using a quality oil and not abusing your OCI interval?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1

I know people get worried about warranty issues, but can possibly go wrong if you are using a quality oil and not abusing your OCI interval?

Judging from the Pentastar issues posted by the Chrysler Techs (a private group I am part of), a lot of things...

Originally Posted by Danno
If warranty is a consideration, Mobil 1 doesn't have Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

MS-6395 is a very low spec. It can be met with conventional. M1 will easily exceed it.

not so on chrysler ms-13340 which is the spec for the new 2.0T "hurricane" motor.. only mopar and pennzoil platinum carry that spec.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by JC1

Judging from the Pentastar issues posted by the Chrysler Techs (a private group I am part of), a lot of things...

I know there were bad heads on the early Pentastar motors and issues of.oil filter housings leaking from cracks.

Any other surprises that we should be aware of?

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by JC1

I know there were bad heads on the early Pentastar motors and issues of.oil filter housings leaking from cracks.

The heads are still a problem - even on the 14+. Not a week goes by without seeing several posts on this issue. Failed Camshafts, Collapsed lifters and failed roller rockers are also mentioned quite frequently.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have the 3.6L in my 2016 Rubicon, I use PU 5W30 and a Fram Ultra filter. My OLM is currently @ 53% with 4,411 miles since the last oil change. I ignore it. UOAs show a TBN of 2.9 after 5K miles. 3,980 mile OCI had a TBN of 3.9. I'm not going to tempt fate and follow it.
27.gif

So you are going to 5k?

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Danno

MS-6395 is a very low spec. It can be met with conventional. M1 will easily exceed it.

No doubt M1 meets or exceeds MS-6395 in practice. But it doesn't meet warranty specs as M1 hasn't certifies it with Chrysler for whatever reason..

And I agree with Critic, I've seen a 2018 3.6 need a new head, with about 20,000 miles on it.

Just got a JL, will use whatever I have in my Stash and go about 5K miles, currently have 5w-30 Valvoline synthetic in it that I had from autozone clearance. Looks like the OLM will allow about 10K miles.

Originally Posted by VNTS
Just got a JL, will use whatever I have in my Stash and go about 5K miles, currently have 5w-30 Valvoline synthetic in it that I had from autozone clearance. Looks like the OLM will allow about 10K miles.

Yeah I was thinking of sticking to 5K miles. But that means 5 oil changes a year for me.

Dont know what to tell you, I have multiple cars and am always under one of them dumping oil, but in big scheme of things the 3.6 isnt bad to deal with. At least the oil filter is up top and I scored a dozen mobile 1 filters for a 1$ each. with the amount of mile my wife will put on it, summer toy, might change the oil twice and put up for winter with a fesh oil filter change. I have the lifetime maxcare on it. I will run xw-30 synthetic in it.

Originally Posted by VNTS
Dont know what to tell you, I have multiple cars and am always under one of them dumping oil, but in big scheme of things the 3.6 isnt bad to deal with. At least the oil filter is up top and I scored a dozen mobile 1 filters for a 1$ each. with the amount of mile my wife will put on it, summer toy, might change the oil twice and put up for winter with a fesh oil filter change. I have the lifetime maxcare on it. I will run xw-30 synthetic in it.

Yeah, wasn't worried about the price of oil or filters. It's the work invoved. I don't like anyone else changing my oil but am getting a bit lazy.
lol.gif
But you're right, I prefer this oil filter setup, less messy.
Good score on those filters! Now it's time for me to go to the ATF forum and talk about this 8 speed tranny lifetime ATF setup.
confused.gif

Originally Posted by stenerson
Originally Posted by demarpaint
27.gif

So you are going to 5k?

Yes, 5k with a slight cushion if the weather is bad. I don't feel I have to squeeze every last mile out of the oil.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by JC1

The heads are still a problem - even on the 14+. Not a week goes by without seeing several posts on this issue. Failed Camshafts, Collapsed lifters and failed roller rockers are also mentioned quite frequently.

How is the PUG upgrade holding up? Or is it too early to tell? Thanks.

Originally Posted by stenerson
Yeah I was thinking of sticking to 5K miles. But that means 5 oil changes a year for me.

No biggie. My car gets 5, wife's car gets at least 3, and my truck gets 1.

Really? I thought all makes are good now, no problem children... Jabs aside, I too thought the head issue was in the past, and it was just oil coolers and roller rockers on the Pentastar--annoying repairs but not exactly awful either (unlike cam towers on my Tundra).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back