GMC MultiPro tailgate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, new trucks seem to compete on gadgets now. Aluminum construction, fancy tailgates, storage bins integrated into the bed, etc.

Modern half tons seems to be much more capable than in the past, but much softer and flashier. A metaphor for western society, I suppose.

It looks cool and is functional, but how will it hold up after 10 years and all sorts of construction abuse? I'm sure we'll see some trucks driving around in 10+ years with missing pieces of these tailgates.

They have one in front of our dealership … right at the curb and always have it in some Transformer mode to show off this contraption …
BiL first got his aluminum F150 I was shocked how light the tailgate felt … now after having a new Chevy with the torsional assist … the Ford feels old school … Guess I'm liking the fact they don't freefall …

Got to check one out on my buddies truck this weekend. It's not bad and pretty unique but it seems like solving a problem you may only encounter 1-2 times a year.

Originally Posted by JC1
It looks cool and is functional, but how will it hold up after 10 years and all sorts of construction abuse? I'm sure we'll see some trucks driving around in 10+ years with missing pieces of these tailgates.
If GMT 400s and 800s are any indication, the handle will be broken within three years. The article states these will be standard on the Denali so I assume it is not really intended for work truck duty. The problem is I see more than a few Denalii or other high trim level work trucks driving around town.

I just want a tail gate that will open and function reliably long term, maybe throw a lift strut on there for when you only have on hand free.

If this is all GM can claim for this new truck, they are in more trouble than I thought. This, to me, is stupid, They should have put that money into the interior of these trucks because right now they are several steps behind RAM who has the best interior of any truck out there. GM still has too much plastic and fake wood...even in Denali trim. My RAM Limited makes my Sierra Denali look like a base level truck. Sorry - just my non-biased opinion and I work for GM!

Seems like a bad idea to me. Of course I use my trucks so I know that tailgate will likely be a pain in the butt once it gets bumped by a forklift or banged on loading heavy stuff. But I also understand that it is a gimmick the guys buying it can show off to his buddies when the heaviest thing it will ever carry will be a bag of groceries.

Come to think of it … might be easier for a local rancher to get another Bud from that Yeti cooler …

Originally Posted by GMBoy
If this is all GM can claim for this new truck, they are in more trouble than I thought. This, to me, is stupid, They should have put that money into the interior of these trucks because right now they are several steps behind RAM who has the best interior of any truck out there. GM still has too much plastic and fake wood...even in Denali trim. My RAM Limited makes my Sierra Denali look like a base level truck. Sorry - just my non-biased opinion and I work for GM!

This.

Cool feature? Sure. Worth hiding in a secret closet? Doubtful.

Just curious, what happens when you have a trailer hitch on? It doesn't look like there is much clearance when the step is down.

When Ford introduced the tailgate step for their pickups about 10 years ago, Chevy made fun of them. Now all of a sudden, it's a great idea. Anyone remember this commercial?

Then Ford started building their trucks out of aluminum, and Chevy made fun of them for that too. Now Chevy is using aluminum (though not as much as Ford) in their trucks too. I can't wait to see the next thing GM makes fun of Ford for, only to adopt it 5-10 years from now.

Originally Posted by exranger06
When Ford introduced the tailgate step for their pickups about 10 years ago, Chevy made fun of them. Now all of a sudden, it's a great idea. Anyone remember this commercial?

Then Ford started building their trucks out of aluminum, and Chevy made fun of them for that too. Now Chevy is using aluminum (though not as much as Ford) in their trucks too. I can't wait to see the next thing GM makes fun of Ford for, only to adopt it 5-10 years from now.

Your timeline is incorrect. Chevrolet was using aluminum panels (the hood) BEFORE the 13th gen aluminum body F-150 came out.

They made fun of the bed because it is weak … I know this from a guy who trashed his and then got a liner for it
(Instead of the other way around) …
My new Silverado has Rhino coating and no liner …

I know some of the tail gate options seem a bit excessive but I use my F150's "man step" all the time. My son and I ride dirt bikes and when we load and unload using a ramp its very useful and much more safe than using a bucket as a step. At first I thought it was money wasted on an option I'd never use. I agree a person working a trade would never need it and would most likely destroy the tailgate though.

The simple improvements are enough … I mentioned torsional assist of heavy steel tailgates … but I also use those corner steps pulling the boat out alone … after coming from the boat and trailer onto the tailgate …

I really love the corner bumper steps and the grab handles in the stake pockets. Way more than I thought I would!!! The assisted tailgate is also really nice too.

I just wish they had put as much research into their commercial for the darn thing! Absolutely hate the music and the people walking around with the tailgates!

This was the Ultimate TAILGATE for a
[Linked Image]

pickup. It's a shame it didn't make it into production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back