Memorial Day Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discount Tire was not bought out. It is still owned by the same family since the beginning. Mr. Halle passed away early last year and the reigns were handed to his step-son who is the current CEO., Michael Zuieback.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
DTD is only offering 10% off for Memorial Day. While you can still stack this with the mfr rebates, it's still not as good as it used to be

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Discount Tires sales have been getting worse and worse.

01.gif

This is because the founder died last year. With him gone, the deals haven't been as good as before

Well...guys would come on here and talk about "their score" at Sears and what they were getting for free with their points-right up to the day Sears basically closed up shop. I don't know what Discount Tires financial shape is, but maybe the new owners want to remain profitable. And stay in business in the future.

Bruce Halle didn't die penniless
smirk2.gif

Sear's problem is the CEO looting the company. They could've been what Amazon is today because Sears was Amazon!

If Sears had remembered their roots, there wouldn't be an Amazon.

Originally Posted by CKN
...Well...guys would come on here and talk about "their score" at Sears and what they were getting for free with their points-right up to the day Sears basically closed up shop. I don't know what Discount Tires financial shape is, but maybe the new owners want to remain profitable. And stay in business in the future.
Point noted. This promotion is pretty much in line with the last several, now using percent off. Then there's the DT CC $30-50 rebate plus any manufacturers rebates there may be. Perhaps by time of sale, there may be more of the latter.

Having read the promo board for many years, it seems that some feel a sense of entitlement to promotions/sales always remaining the same. I observed it for AAP online codes, and now can be seen for DT/DTD. Fact of life, things change. Some see the change tied to the founder's death because promos changed in same time frame. Could be the reason, or one of several reasons. As I'm not on the DT board or privy to inside info, I'm unwilling to make the leap of founder's death as the sole reason. The founder's wealth status is irrelevant to this discussion. Afaik management of privately owned DT/AT has remained the same.

If the DT/DTD promotion(s) don't yield the lowest price on tires of choice, shop elsewhere. Simple. With DT price match/low price policy and level of service 'ime', while the previous promotions were better than current, that won't make the difference in my purchase decision. My .02

I bought a new mower and new dishwasher from Sears in the last two weeks … the small town stores have not changed, in fact ours seems to grow … and now a 30 year appliance company is about to close here … so that will be a boost.

I'll keep doing business with them as long as I can (and none with Amazon) …

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Having read the promo board for many years, it seems that some feel a sense of entitlement to promotions/sales always remaining the same.

I'm kinda getting the same vibe, maybe not in this thread but in general. Yeah it's nice to always count on a sale being around the corner, but it's too easy to fall into expecting (demanding?) there to be one. By all means, shop for the best deal, but there's no sense in lousing about there being "none on sale".

Originally Posted by 4WD
... (and none with Amazon) …

[off-topic]
Would you kindly explain that?
(I thrust your BIG buyer experience....)

Thank you

I'm unaware of any DT reps giving members here a heads up. Be that as it may, the posted link will take you to the 2019 DT Memorial Day sale promo, thus why it was posted. First entry found after advertisement.....

https://www.discounttire.com/promotions/memorial-day

Nice, the 10% was an awesome deal for Labor Day, glad to see it's back. Those of us with expensive tires can really make a killing.

Originally Posted by Voleak
.... Discount Tire.....Now they do 10% MIR. So you would have to spend $1,000 to get the $100 MIR.
Three years ago, Goodyear used to give $140 rebates, on $790 purchases, if you used their credit card. Our rebate came promptly. You'd have to figure if Goodyear Comfortreds were worth $790, out the door. We have been very happy with the tires. Now tho, I love used tires & save huge amounts of money.

Originally Posted by Voleak
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Tirerack had a deal on some continental 215 60 R17 I was thinking of replacing the wifes Crosstrek 225/55R17 if they would fit.

Nobody wants to sell or mount non OE tires these days.

[]

215/60r17 will fit with absolutely to issues. I ran 215/60r17 Nokian eNTYRE C/S on my '17 Crosstrek until I downsized to 16" wheels.

Unfortunately, Discount Tire had changed their promotions ever since the founder of the company passed away just over a year ago. They used to do $100, $75, and $50 MIR depending on whether you purchased a set of Best, Better, Good tires. Now they do 10% MIR. So you would have to spend $1,000 to get the $100 MIR. I used to spend anywhere from $360 for a set of Nokian's for my ride (Nokian considered a "Best" tire, so I got a $100 MIR) to $500 (again Nokian "Best" $100 MIR) for my wife's old SUV.

DT has a lookup chart for upsizing. As long as they meet or exceed the load rating of the oem tires (or door placard) they wont give you any crap about mounting them.

AFAIK 225/60r17 fit on the crosstrek so these 215/60r17 would have no issues.

I miss the days of $100 off a set of tires + $100 off a set of wheels at DT/DTD. The only decent deals, are a few manufacturer rebates stacked with the 10%. They may give you a few more $$ if you use DT credit card.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Kingsford twin pak charcoal for 9 bucks, big bags, always stock up for the summer.

Where?

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Malo83
Kingsford twin pak charcoal for 9 bucks, big bags, always stock up for the summer.

Where?

Lowes, they had the two 18lbs bags for 9 bucks but this year they went back to 20 lbs bags for 12 bucks which were originally 9 bucks.
21.gif

Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm
Father in law got the memorial day deal.
Plus he found out if you are a AAA member he got an additional $10.00 off per tire.

Where? What store? I found it "Welcome AAA members! Exclusive AAA member rewards at Discount Tire. Buy any Better or Best rated tire at your local Southern California Discount Tire* and receive $10 off per tire. * Offer valid at any participating Southern California Discount Tire location only."

Last edited:
Pirrelli just added a $70 rebate for the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.]
On Craigslist I got an 18 inch Cinturato with 75% tread remaining for $30. Another good deal 18 inch used Cinturato, & I'll mount them on the rear of our front-drive Elantra.

Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm
..... he found out if you are a AAA member he got an additional $10.00 off per tire.
On Craigslist I just got a "new" spare BF Goodrich Premier touring tire (not even mounted) for $10. I don't get the 70,000 mile warranty, but for the price, that's great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back