01 Mercury Sable Transmission Fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever change the transmission fluid using a MityVac type vacuum through dipstick in the 3.0 duratec in a Mercury Sable? Wondering how much I will get out through the dipstick tube. I did my Grand Marquis a while back this way and was able to get about 4 qts out.

Is your engine DOHC or OHV (Vulcan)? I have a 2000 Ford Taurus DOHC. I'm not sure how much you would get out of the dipstick tube. On these cars, it's very easy to unhook the ATF line from the radiator and let the engine pump it out (2 to 3 quarts) refill and keep going until its clear.

I never used one on a Sable but I did on my SUV and it was a royal pain in the hand. That's when I got out my household vacuum and attached the crevice tool to it and detached the hose from the mityvac and inserted that into the crevice tool and went to town.

I was able to use my shop vac assisted unit and a 3/8 " OD plastic tube to pull out 6 quarts ( about half the fluid). It would be the same for a 2000 to 2007 Taurus or Sable with a 3.0. The fluid comes out faster if it is warm.
smile.gif

6 quarts sounds great. I know it will come out faster when warm but I also learned that too warm and my hose collapses so there is a happy in between. Also about to do my Snapper mower and putting Amsoil in both thanks to a new friend found here on the forums.

I always dropped the pan and also changed the filter and cleaned out the magnet. Can't do that by sucking out the fluid.

I use a Liquivac to suck the pan out and minimize the mess when changing the filter. I've done this on quite a few Sables in the past and my current Fleet that has dipstick tube access.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 Taurus with the AX4N transaxle. I use a cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight even if I am dropping the pan. It makes procedure a lot less messy for me. I usually pull out about 6 to 6 1/2 quarts. I suppose on some interval a pan drop, filter change, and magnet clean would be beneficial. After 28 years ownership on a Ford Ranger, and 19 years with a Taurus have been surprised at how unclogged and clean the filters have been. The Ranger transmission failed at 269,000 miles.

Scott

I would do only a pan drop and filter change. Sucking out fluid is a half a$$ job and I would want to do the most effective method especially when those transmissions were weak to begin with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I would do only a pan drop and filter change. Sucking out fluid is a half a$$ job and I would want to do the most effective method especially when those transmissions were weak to begin with.

Please elaborate because this is a half a thought posted.

Originally Posted by dave1251

What do you need to elaborate on? Pretty much no one sucked the fluid out on the Ford Taurus forums. I did it about 5 times, always dropped the pan, changed filter and cleaned the magnet. The first time the magnet was really covered in fuzz from all the metal bits. Subsequent changes still required cleaning the magnet, but less stuff accumulated on it each time.

The AX4N transmission is definitely a weak spot on the Taurus Sable line. Purist and textbook would be to drop the pan, clean pan and magnet, change the filter and refill. I evacuate about 6 quarts on an annual basis and refill. Every third year I drop the pan, change the filter, and clean the pan and magnet. I have never encountered a dirty let alone clogged filter in 28 years on the Ranger, 19 years on the Taurus. Ranger went 269,000 miles, 2000 Taurus closing in on 150,000 miles. I pump out the fluid before dropping the pan as I find it a lot less messy. Even with a large drain pan, being careful usually spill transmission fluid on driveway, my hair, etc. I would not fault anyone for the pan drop, clean, and filter replacement. A lot of these shops doing a flush do not drop the pan, nor change filter. I think it is great people are considering changing fluid, filter, etc. on transmission as some want you to believe it is a lifetime fluid. I agree that if someone just suctions fluid and replaces that is a half measure, absolutely. The original poster asked how much fluid could be removed via suction. Answering his question makes you an half measured maintenance person? Do what works for you.

Scott

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by dave1251

What do you need to elaborate on? Pretty much no one sucked the fluid out on the Ford Taurus forums. I did it about 5 times, always dropped the pan, changed filter and cleaned the magnet. The first time the magnet was really covered in fuzz from all the metal bits. Subsequent changes still required cleaning the magnet, but less stuff accumulated on it each time.

The fluid hold nothing in suspension and the magnet will lose it's field? This must have happened to the vast majority of the vehicles which are scrapped today with original transmissions on factory fluid 12-15 years later.

I prefer fluid exchanges with the cooler lines on my Cutlass and change the filter every 2-3 times, but it's clean inside from 30k changes for the past 17 or more years. If it hasn't been done in a while I'd want to pull the plan, clean it and the magnet, change the filter. Then flush it through the cooler lines about 12qts. Then if it stays cleanish looking just do a flush the next time.

They are a weak point on these cars but I've seen them last a while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back