Valvoline maxlife atf dex 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently MaxLife ATF is just some magical stuff, seems to work in pretty much everything.

While I have not used it in Dex VI applications, the next change in my mom's Vue (if ever, went 140,000 on factory Dex VI fluid) will be using Maxlife ATF.

I also have used it for Merc V, Toyota WS, and SPIII (Hyundai) applications.

One of the least expensive over the counter ATF. Nobody has reported, yet, how it caused failure. Many reports of good results, with different makes and models.

Yes … two 20k runs in the Cruze so far … gallon jug is perfect for drain/fill … (takes 10 minutes) …

I currently use it in my Cad and my brother uses it in his truck (both spec Dex VI). Works great and shifts at least as good as original. My Cad also has a bottle of Lubegard red but I don't know whether this adds anything.

Last edited:
I have used it in Honda DW1 and Nissan Madic-S transmission applications as well as power steering calling for DEXRON III in our Toyota and my old Nissan. No issues at all. I'm planning on using it in our 4Runner WS transmission as well as my Silverado DEXRON IV transmission. It seems to be really good stuff at a great price!

Originally Posted by 4WD
That is a rough smell …

Extra additives to work in different applications? When I worked at Goodyear for a little while we dealt with "qmi". They had a multi vehicle synthetic fluid we sold for a bit. They said it smelled so bad because of the additive for the Mercedes spec iirc

Maxlife seems to be a great ATF and the fair priced gallon jug is ideal for me …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Maxlife seems to be a great ATF and the fair priced gallon jug is ideal for me …

I agree the best deal in ATF IMO.

Just finished complete flush and drain and fill with new filter on the 2004R in my Oldsmobile. I believe I only did a flush the past 2 changes and did not remove the pan so I'm pretty happy with what I found.

The left bottle was the first few liters that pumped out after doing the pan drop and topping up with 5L.

The right one is the last 4L or so that came out before topping it up and calling it done. Total amount of fluid exchanged was 10.6L. I usually do 12 but I didn't want to buy another gallon.

IMG_20190526_111623.jpg

IMG_20190526_112853.jpg

IMG_20190526_130210.jpg

IMG_20190526_130236.jpg

Originally Posted by dave1251
Looks good and there was at least another 30K miles of life left on the fluid on the left I bet.

I will agree that it wasn't "spent" but considering I've got 270k miles on the transmission (had 115k when I got the car that it came in) and I've been running this transmission for 15-16 years I don't want to take any chances. If anything I think I need to take the pan off each service to clean the magnet before it gets saturated as it was this time. The fluid stays nice looking for a long time in this one, probably because of the years of 30k mile or sooner changes since I got it.

I have it in my 2018 Silverado it works just as well as DEXRON VI as far as I can tell. The smell is overwhelming though.

...‚...‚...‚

It is pretty bad, worse than my teenagers gym clothes on laundry day. ...‚ Any shop towels with that stuff on it get washed IMMEDIATELY!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I have it in my 2018 Silverado it works just as well as DEXRON VI as far as I can tell. The smell is overwhelming though.

...‚...‚...‚

It is pretty bad, worse than my teenagers gym clothes on laundry day. ...‚ Any shop towels with that stuff on it get washed IMMEDIATELY!

Hmmm, there's a thought...Maxlife deodorant. Guaranteed to mask the smell of sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back