Motor mounts @ rock auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!
I drive an older camry.
2004 toyota camry LE 2Az-fe (2.4L 4 cyl) automatic
Mileage is over 215k

I am looking to replace all my motor and transmission mounts.(ive done it before but only some of them) now I believe they are all bad.

I like to shop at rock auto and there are 2 complete mount sets available.

SKP and DEA/marmom ride control.

Ive used anchor brand mounts before but it seems to have only lasted 2 years/20 k miles

Does anybody have experience with SKP or DEA/marmon ride control?
Thank you in advance and srry if this is repost.
Thanks.

Don't waste your money and time changing them with those, they are poor quality at best. Use the more expensive OE, they cost more (in some cases hundreds more) but will last without the vibration problems that plague aftermarket ones.

What about chain aftermarket parts like from autozone?
I dont plan on keeping this vehicle too much longer , however, i can no longer stand the sway of the engine while driving around town for work.

Thank ya'll.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is one of those situations where OEM is the way to go, but it will be pricey.

I think just about everyone here has a bad aftermarket engine mount story. For some reason they're just junk.

If you're planning on getting rid of this vehicle sooner rather than later, then just live with it.

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. Its an old car, and you're not keeping it long. If the mounts are easy to replace, and if you don't mind potentially a little more vibration, use the aftermarket.

Me, I plan on keeping my V6's a good long while and I still used aftermarket, but the two mounts that tear up on my two J-Series Honda's are super easy to replace so if I only get 2-3 years out of them, its not a giant deal. As for the vibration, also, not a huge killer for me.

Everyone's priorities are different so you'll have to make that decision.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. Its an old car, and you're not keeping it long. If the mounts are easy to replace, and if you don't mind potentially a little more vibration, use the aftermarket.

Me, I plan on keeping my V6's a good long while and I still used aftermarket, but the two mounts that tear up on my two J-Series Honda's are super easy to replace so if I only get 2-3 years out of them, its not a giant deal. As for the vibration, also, not a huge killer for me.

Everyone's priorities are different so you'll have to make that decision.

This is a very good counter point to my previous comments.
It really does depend on the OPs personal situation.

Autozone is the worst option of them all. They'll have overpriced generic junk.

Rockauto's stuff will have an appropriate price for what it is.
wink.gif

I took my mom's old 2002 camry to 247k miles, and it was a stick shift which is worse, and never had any mount issues. Maybe check a junkyard for gently used OE?

Originally Posted by Trav
Don't waste your money and time changing them with those, they are poor quality at best. Use the more expensive OE, they cost more (in some cases hundreds more) but will last without the vibration problems that plague aftermarket ones.

That's like telling a guy to buy Snap-on tools when he's perfectly happy with Tekton and GearWrench.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by Trav

That's like telling a guy to buy Snap-on tools when he's perfectly happy with Tekton and GearWrench.

The op did not state in the original post that he was not keeping the car long. He stated that later. I have used anchor and dea with saturns, and its not worth the time. They do not last. Based on the original post, Trav gave good advice.

I'd either sell the car as it is, or replace it with decent mounts. I've had anchor mounts be no better new, than the ones i took of worn.

Last edited:
Check eBay, sometimes for older cars you can source OEM mounts that are being sold as close out (new old stock). I bought some mounts for some older cars (01, around that year) that were NOS OEM on close out on eBay, came complete in the original OEM wrapper with part number label (the bags were a little yellow from age though).

It also depends on the method of failure. For my stuff the method is that they completely tear loose, leaving the motor flopping around on the rear mount and the safety retainers. Some mounts fail by just being too soft. Those are the ones that you would run into a problem where a 'new' mount might be just as bad as an old mount if the rubber used was crap quality.

I go OEM with motor mounts, those Chinese or India made aftermarkets do not last and likely will give more teeth chattering engine vibrations which I found out the hard way once..

Last edited:
I replaced one or both motor mounts on a 1966 Comet 289 , about 1969 - 1970 , with what ever the local parts store stocked . Never had any other motor mount problems .

Guess the aftermarket world has changed ?

I had a 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE. It turned a DEA dog bone literally to dust in a month. Anchor cracked in a year. The only dog bone that Camry would not wreck was the Beck Arnley. So its that or OEM.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I replaced one or both motor mounts on a 1966 Comet 289 , about 1969 - 1970 , with what ever the local parts store stocked . Never had any other motor mount problems .

Most parts store rebrand Moog. Why you had good luck. But that was then. Even Moog uses China now to cut costs. Moog is hit or miss

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Those days are long gone! It used to be you could go to the parts store and buy USA made parts that were as good as or even better than OE but not anymore. Most of it is degraded quality, made in some third hole or made to the cheapest possible price point and greatest profit margin. Very few premium or upgrade parts are commonly available outside of specialty suppliers.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I had a 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE. It turned a DEA dog bone literally to dust in a month. Anchor cracked in a year. The only dog bone that Camry would not wreck was the Beck Arnley. So its that or OEM.

I will check out beck Arnley. My ‘dog bone' torque strut mount is cracked... the lower front is hooked up but is just sliding around...the others are the original.

I am planning on keeping vehicle maybe 2 more years
I am just concerned with the mounts/suspension since
Most of it is original and my new job requires me to drive around town and occasionally across Texas.

Thank ya'll for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back