Mobil 1 0w40 vs Pennzoil platinum 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got myself a Brand new RAM 2500 6.4L hemi. Which of these oils is better and why in your opinion? Would one be better than the other in this "Break in" stage? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dragon44
Just got myself a Brand new RAM 2500 6.4L hemi. Which of these oils is better and why in your opinion? Would one be better than the other in this "Break in" stage? Thanks.

Castrol 0W40.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
I would use what meets Chrysler specs which leaves you with Pennzoil.

That would be my choice as well.

Heard Castrol is trash.

crackmeup2.gif
50.gif

I've ran Castrol 0W-40 on occasion in my car. The engine did not suffer a early death. LOL

Last edited:
Neither of my MB's "liked" M1 0W-40 and so the AMG gets Castrol and the C300 gets Pennzoil. At the end of the day, all of them would have the engine outlasting everything else and so it boils down to personal preference. If you have a warranty, I would use whatever meets the specifications--you could hardly go wrong with a full synthetic 0W-40 oil in any brand.

Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't Mobil 1 meet the Rams specs just the same as Pennzoil platinum?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Neither of my MB's "liked" M1 0W-40 and so the AMG gets Castrol and the C300 gets Pennzoil. At the end of the day, all of them would have the engine outlasting everything else and so it boils down to personal preference. If you have a warranty, I would use whatever meets the specifications--you could hardly go wrong with a full synthetic 0W-40 oil in any brand.

Can you explain how or why neither of your your MB's "liked" M1 0w40?

Originally Posted by Slick17601
I would use what meets Chrysler specs which leaves you with Pennzoil.

Nope, Ravenol, which is entirely PAO-based, also meets the Chrysler spec.

Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't Mobil 1 meet the Rams specs just the same as Pennzoil platinum?

Mobil 1 used to be "the oil" for the SRT's before the Fiat takeover, which resulted in the termination of the factory and service fill contract Chrysler had with Mobil, and resulted in some serious sour grapes, like no Mobil 1 products wearing any of the Chrysler approvals for example. Prior to that, the oil used was the Euro 0w-40 Mobil 1 product. The "special" SRT Pennzoil product has higher volatility and lower AW levels than a Euro lube, read into that what you may. I've personally shied away from using it, instead using Castrol 0w-40 and now Ravenol 0w-40 in my 6.4L.

You're more likely to spot a unicorn than find Ultra 0W-40 SRT, so I'd go with the M1 or Castrol if it were me based on availability alone! Unless you wanna pay like $14 a quart for it at the stealership! Lol

I don't know who told you Castrol is trash, but they're full of themselves! Nothing wrong with BP products at all, they just get a bed rep for starting the synthetic oil thing in the US which allowed a group 3 dino be labeled as a synthetic.

Which Castrol 0w40 is everyone talking about? I'm at my local Walmart right now looking for it.

This one?
[Linked Image]

Or this one ( in a 0w 40 of course)
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Which Castrol 0w40 is everyone talking about? I'm at my local Walmart right now looking for it.

The black bottle Edge product. The one with the plethora of approvals and certs on the back.

Does it? You tell us.

If it does then it will be printed on the container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back