Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 good for 12.5-15k miles or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think mileage will be an issue. Full synthetic oil should be able to go 10,000 miles. But if the car isn't being driven, then calendar years is something to consider. 1 year sounds reasonable. It's just oil which he wants to use and not waste. I've done that myself. Poured a few leftover quarts of oil I had into my car; mixed in with the new oil. 2 different weights.
No harm done. It's all fresh out of the sealed bottle.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Trav
Oil is cheap engines are not, trying to squeeze the last mile out of oil at the prices they charge in the US for oil is beyond being frugal it borders on downright stupidity IMO.
5-7K and dump it.

Your favorite manufacturers started the extended drain interval and it has gotten to the point 10K miles OCI is no longer considered extended.

Tell that to the owners of older VW, Saab, etc turbo engines, MB and BMW models that sludge, engines with worn out timing chains and guides that lead to failed tensioners, failed Honda VCM systems due to sludge, etc because of the stupid long OCI touted by the manufacturers in the name of being saving oil to be environmentally conscious.
10K is way over the top for normal service which is usually severe service for most people.

I believe you are right Trav... In a number of applications and set ups that was no where near a grand idea..

In others it can be done with no problems... Very application, motor set up and typical running pattern dependent.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I believe you are right Trav... In a number of applications and set ups that was no where near a grand idea..

In others it can be done with no problems... Very application, motor set up and typical running pattern dependent.

It's a very rare issue miniscule really.

Don't agree... It's not has small as you think... I'm not saying it's a ton either. But it is a lot more than one tenth of one percent...

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by bbhero

It's a very rare issue miniscule really.

Some manufacturers have lowered the OCI and re-calibrated the OLM because of issues so it is not a minuscule problem. Why risk potential issues if you can prevent it for under $40 every 5-7K?

I really shake my head when I hear/see people stretching their OCI's out to beyond 7k under normal conditions considering just how cheap it is. Playing "chicken" with my engine isn't really worth the "bragging" rights of having some bloated UOA results in hand. Spend tens of thousands of dollars on a high performance/low tolerance engine and cheap out on the assurance of having good oil in it is just plain ridiculous. I work part time in my retirement for a friend in his engine shop. I see all sorts of engines during the week...and many which are easy to see the effects of extended OCI's. Nope...I will NEVER go past 7k regardless of claim that it's still "good" past that.

Is there a large group of posters that braved the 10-12-15K OCI waters and had mechanical issues because of it?

Is there a large group of posters that braved the 10-12-15K OCI waters and had mechanical issues because of it?

I have regularly done some 10-12K OCIs in various vehicles for about the last 10 years, mostly just using WalMart 5W-30 synthetic, PureOne filters back in the day, and more recently FRAM Ultras. Never could see anything indicating the oil and filter couldn't have gone further. I've never had a major engine failure in any vehicle, though I usually have to junk them before 200K because of rot here in the great Northeast. Just changed my daughter's oil in her 2006 Scion Xa with a touch over 10K on the Walmart synthetic 5W-30 and a FRAM Ultra filter. Oil looked pretty clean. Car has about 155,000 miles on it. Runs like a top. A few years ago I started doing my oil changes at 6-month intervals: May 1 and Nov 1. This avoided changing in the middle of the winter in the driveway, or in the middle of the summer when I want to go places. It is nice to know with the synthetic oil and a good filter there is plenty of room for extra miles if needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back