Tesla Model 3 Owners Only - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jeff and others for the relevant comments. I'm going in for another test drive today with wife and baby to make our final decision.

Regarding solar, it doesn't really pencil-out here in Oregon for a few reasons: power is cheap (and we pay extra for 100% renewable... about $3-6 more per month) and we don't use much of it (small house, no AC or pool, gas heat). Charging the car with amount of miles it will see will be $18-20 per month. That's a savings of over $100 per month over the petrol bill for the car that it would be replacing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

The car is software driven; some will struggle with that.

Every modern car is software driven just as every current airliner is.
The fact that most road vehicles use conventional displays doesn't change that.

Even some trucks. My RAM has been updated with a superb safety feature purely by changing/adding software. Now any time you open the door in gear and take your foot off the brake the truck instantly goes into park.

Just an example, modern vehicles all have some tricks, too...

Agreed; microprocessors have been used in vehicles for years. Heck, modules were used in distributors in the 1970's, right?
I am talking about the software updates overnight using your wireless and the simplicity of the car in general.
The "no knobs" interior throws you at first.
While many simply cannot accept it; the software driven nature of the Model 3 is amazing. This car is the future.
Upon 1st test drive, Sue called it "an Iphone on wheels". It really is; it makes other cars feel like a rotary landline phone.
Again, the Model 3 is not for everyone.

Shannow, you may not like the term bank, but I think you understand the point.
I expect to pay $10 per month for electricity for many years to come.
Your argument of polluting someone's else backyard is an argument for more renewables, not less.
That was a key reason for me to go solar.

The term "bank" is intentionally misleading, making people think that the clean green power is stored somewhere to be drawn on later...or self delusional.

It's not an argument for putting in more renewables, unless you can somehow make the sun shine all night.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, retiring 1,000MW of coal requires 4-5,000MW of renewables, and somewhere to put 16,000MW hours (an ACTUAL bank if you will) to store until you need it later.

Solar/wind is cheap while it's disruptive, but horridly expensive when it's reliead on...acccording to Lazard's levelised cost of storage, a free KWh going into a grid scale battery requires 25c/KWh to cover the cost of the battery over it's life...that's wholesale.

So until Ca somehow legislates the sun shining 24/7, they are still going to be relying on someone else, burning something somewhere else (other people's back yards).

[Linked Image]

Shannow, do the arithmetic. More solar power equals less fossil fuel power.
Electricity from solar replaces electricity from another source.
Solar is a key component of a larger solution.

I am not intentionally misleading anyone; I explained my use of banking to you.
Please do not put words in my mouth.

FYI, you might be interested to know CA is working on an energy "bank".
CA Energy Storage

Last edited:
"It's not an argument for putting in more renewables, unless you can somehow make the sun shine all night."
Renewable resources in CA include wind, solar, geothermal, biomass and small hydroelectric facilities.

Geothermal and hydroelectric run all day and night, and California (and North America as a whole) have plenty of both. Those are the two we should be pouring resources into, in my opinion, as they don't require storage and have extremely long service lives.

Test drive went well today. The back seat is awesome. I sat back there with baby while wife was driving.

Placing an order on Tuesday for a black SR+
smile.gif

Last edited:
There is geothermal to make energy and geothermal to save energy at the homestead … like this family with a small ranch near Crawford Texas …

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Test drive went well today. The back seat is awesome. I sat back there with baby while wife was driving.

smile.gif

When we test drove back in December, I was wearing one of those black boots from surgery and walking on crutches.
Hardly mobile...
Surprisingly, I got in and out of the back seat easily.

Congratulations on your new Model 3!
Please post pics...
Model 3, GS 350 and Acura TSX...

20181220_093250 (1).jpg

Last edited:

smile.gif

When we test drove back in December, I was wearing one of those black boots from surgery and walking on crutches.
Hardly mobile...
Surprisingly, I got in and out of the back seat easily.

Congratulations on your new Model 3!
Please post pics...
Model 3, GS 350 and Acura TSX...

Looks nice! The upgraded wheels are a must, the base ones are hideous.

Let this thread be fair warning... Test drive one of these cars at your own risk.
They are simply amazing.

The Model 3 makes brand new cars feel old. And it's a [censored] of a deal ($8-12k cheaper) than a similarly optioned/spec'd BMW 330 or Mercedes C-class. Not to mention the monthly fuel savings.

Last edited:
Let this thread be fair warning... Test drive one of these cars at your own risk.
They are simply amazing.

I am itching to drive one, but I feel like I'd want to trade my 300 in for one if I do!

Geothermal and hydroelectric run all day and night, and California (and North America as a whole) have plenty of both. Those are the two we should be pouring resources into, in my opinion, as they don't require storage and have extremely long service lives.

100%...they are "schedulable", meaning that they can be controlled and delivered when needed.
They are governable, meaning that they control frequency, and carrying inertia, they help stabilise the grid.

Wind has the same issues as solar...need 4-5,000MW of it to replace 1,000MW of thermal and somewhere to put it when you generate too much.

smile.gif

Congrats !! Enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted by Shannow

100%...they are "schedulable", meaning that they can be controlled and delivered when needed.
They are governable, meaning that they control frequency, and carrying inertia, they help stabilise the grid.

Wind has the same issues as solar...need 4-5,000MW of it to replace 1,000MW of thermal and somewhere to put it when you generate too much.

Yes, and wind tends to be out of phase with demand. In Ontario, when the demand is the highest (hot, muggy days) wind completely bugs out. That same night? You have no solar. So the nukes and hydro run the show and we lean on gas to make up the difference. We have roughly 5,000MW of wind, so imaging trying to prop that up with batteries?
lol.gif

Before purchasing "standard plus", drive the long range. If you can stretch the budget, try to get the largest battery that you can afford.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should you test drive the performance one :)

Originally Posted by earthbound
red flagged waved today article from bloomberg............hope they make it.....but....
eek.gif

This plot says a bunch about the stock market. My own index is a "vital to the economy index" …
What vehicles are getting hard and dirty work done … ?

FACD86F2-F18F-4310-A73B-C114C88583CE.png

Originally Posted by Vikas
Before purchasing "standard plus", drive the long range. If you can stretch the budget, try to get the largest battery that you can afford.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should you test drive the performance one :)

Long Range is out of budget and wholly unnecessary for how the car will be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back