8 Year Review 2007 MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my 2007 Acura MDX Technology (Nav/Fancy Audio system) from a dealer who did every service according to CarFax back in 2011 with 84k miles for $19.5k. The leather interior was a not taken care of (dog)/hard owner and had body work. In my 8 year ownership it does not look that much worse
smile.gif

Fast forward to now with 195,000 miles. It still has plenty of power (300HP) and nice VTEC growl from its 3.7 V6. Everything works except BlueTooth module (horrid sound quality anyway). Remains comfortable albeit a bit noisy with wind leaks.

Reliability:
Issues fixed by indy Subie Mechanic:
$80 exhaust fix due to bolts breaking (loud)
$100 serpentine tensioner
$200 speed sensor
$10 AC Relay
$500 Alternator replacement (DENSO part)
$100 Xenon bulb replacement
~$200 estimated Transmission light on for failed sensor(code in NAV!)

The only expensive maintenance was $600 timing belt change at dealer who I bargained with on a terrible winter storm day they should have closed and techs were hungry. I have changed oil every 6months with conventional random (3k-8k). Does not burn oil.

The body work came back to haunt me. The car is severely rusting along rear fender due to amateur pinch weld work and apparently did not rust proof the interior of replaced Acura door panel so eating inside out. The vehicle was also parked on the Ocean for first 4 years of life outside and appeared to likely launch a boat(very rusty around hitch). A receipt from PO showed I googled and found the vehicle on google maps. The rust is so severe I don't know if it will pass inspection in 2 years.

The biggest con of vehicle to is the fuel economy. 18MPG average with premium is pretty abysmal. The biggest pro's have been wonderful all around vehicle and it gives "Honda" level reliability. Also the SH-AWD is quite impressive and this is coming from a Subaru owner. Its also very inexpensive to maintain. $50 drain/fill's every 60k it seems.

I have several friends who own Acuras; they all love them- haven't heard any complaints.

madRiver,

Brake calipers, rubber brake lines, water pump, fuel pump, wheel bearings and shocks/struts are original?

Originally Posted by mclasser
Thanks for the review. Does your 3.7 use oil?

Got any pics?

No significant oil consumption except occasional 1/2 qt at in 5k miles. My brothers similar generation 2011 drinks oil. (1qt per 800 miles).

Originally Posted by The Critic
No spark plugs or valve adjustment?

The plugs were replaced by Prior Owner for some reason at 84k so never bothered. Valve's never inspected.

Originally Posted by cos
madRiver,

Brake calipers, rubber brake lines, water pump, fuel pump, wheel bearings and shocks/struts are original?

All original. A low tech honest repair/tire place did end up pulling a caliper off and cleaning/lubing the heck out as it was dragging at 100k. They wanted to replace but could not get the part quickly enough. it A tie rod was replaced and it needs a $100 sway bar link replaced but not that loud.

I used OLM for SH AWD fluid replacement (1-2 times? at $50/each). The transmission fluid replacement I think twice was around $70. I likely should have replaced brake fluid but indy mechanic said it was okay according to his old school tests. My indy($65/hr labor) likes to repair over replace, even attempted to fix my alternator.

My used 05 Pilot was a great experience from 98K on, so at 212K I had another timing belt put on it, water pump, plugs, and the valves adjusted ( all exhausts were tight and would have burned soon). Unfortunately at 214K the transmission was done and I sold it for less than that service cost. Still it was one of the cheapest vehicles I ever owned in terms of repairs and maintenance (not gas!)

I've heard so much bad about the 3.7L, but no personal experience. 300HP sounds like fun. The 255HP 3.5L in the 05 was no slouch.

No offense, but at this point you need to decide when to get out.

Originally Posted by HangFire
My used 05 Pilot was a great experience from 98K on, so at 212K I had another timing belt put on it, water pump, plugs, and the valves adjusted ( all exhausts were tight and would have burned soon). Unfortunately at 214K the transmission was done and I sold it for less than that service cost. Still it was one of the cheapest vehicles I ever owned in terms of repairs and maintenance (not gas!)

I've heard so much bad about the 3.7L, but no personal experience. 300HP sounds like fun. The 255HP 3.5L in the 05 was no slouch.

No offense, but at this point you need to decide when to get out.

Why did you decide against installing another transmission?

Originally Posted by The Critic
Why did you decide against installing another transmission?

Thought hard about it. I don't have the time for all the suspension work I know is coming, and I don't want to pay someone else to do it. The wife wants something new, and I needed more MPG for my commute. I am getting 27MPG from the V6 Camry I just got, and the Pilot got 17. It was the right call.

We recently traded our 2011 MDX Tech on a new 2019 X5. The MDX was a great car for us. It was about as reliable as it could be, SH-AWD is a great system that made the car fun to drive both in deep snow and on dry roads, it hauled more plants home from the nursery and junk to the dump than I can count, and toward the end even over 100k miles it was towing my trailer with my S2000 on it. In the last year or so it was starting to use oil, the trans would slip a little bit when it was cold, and there was some sort of jiggle in the front suspension I never could figure out so we decided to move on before something expensive failed knowing that I'd continue to tow with it. MPG was never a strong suit, we'd get 21 on the highway and 17-18 around town (11 when towing). Overall the MDX was such a good car to us.

Originally Posted by gofast182
We recently traded our 2011 MDX Tech on a new 2019 X5. The MDX was a great car for us. It was about as reliable as it could be, SH-AWD is a great system that made the car fun to drive both in deep snow and on dry roads, it hauled more plants home from the nursery and junk to the dump than I can count, and toward the end even over 100k miles it was towing my trailer with my S2000 on it. In the last year or so it was starting to use oil,

My brothers 2011 MDX with 115k is getting evaluated by Acura on three consumption tested over 1000 miles (dealer checks/documents). So far dipstick was needing 1 qt plus on first two tests. He is likely slated for major engine work on Acura's goodwill program.

^ yep we were headed down that road, too. Ironically, the letter for Acura's extended warranty on the engine arrived literally minutes after we got home from ordering the new X5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back