Does rolling coal damage catalytic converters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse me for interrupting the thread but I have a question. What do the guys do to their trucks to make them belch out the black smoke. Is it some modification to the engine or a particular way they rev the engine? I've seen trucks that do it but I don't know how they can do it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Got an 06 Jetta TDI that I think has a tune on it. When you step on it I can see a good bit of black smoke. Does this harm the converter?

They actually allow that in VA, MD or wherever you are?
Here State really clamped down on that, and rightly so.

How much coal? I find it hard to believe a 1.9 liter jetta is going to black out an entire lane of traffic.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
How much coal? I find it hard to believe a 1.9 liter jetta is going to black out an entire lane of traffic.

It will. You should see Golf II 1.6d (no turbo) when injection gets messed up. Holy moly.

A smaller engine can black out the sun when overfueled.

Originally Posted by xtell
Please excuse me for interrupting the thread but I have a question. What do the guys do to their trucks to make them belch out the black smoke. Is it some modification to the engine or a particular way they rev the engine? I've seen trucks that do it but I don't know how they can do it.

It's mechanically or electronically altered to overfuel the engine. When a diesel runs very rich, the partially burnt and unburnt fuel makes a cloud of impenetrable black smoke.

Mine did, without a tune. Happened the first time I drove it after fixing the turbo to make boost again, and immediately sucked in all the oil pooled in the intercooler. Solid black cloud that completely covered the entire road for about a quarter mile.

Originally Posted by xtell

It's usually done via a chip tune that intentionally makes their truck run like garbage to TRIGGER THE LIBS (and put a salve on their own incredibly fragile and easily wounded masculinity)

Last edited:

I guess I'm old, I see no point in doing it.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back