Gas Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
That depends. Is there a problem or things aren't running right?
Seafoam and MMO are often used and recommended by those who
hand out here.
A few other additives are also mentioned and suggested when the need is there.

My 2¢

Normally I add a type of stabilizer near end of season such as Stabil or Startron or both. That way if/when it sits for extended period it has it in it. Sometimes I forget and engines sit all winter without and are always fine so it may not matter

Originally Posted by spk2000
Normally I add a type of stabilizer near end of season such as Stabil or Startron or both.

Yep....when your using the gas weekly there's no need for it.

I use MMO with every fill up.My stuff is old and I like the smell. I think it helps. I keep Berryman's Chemtool on hand for eventualities.My sit down got a dose of Chemtool just 'cuz.It is mostly acetone and it works on varnish in the carb. I also mix 2 stroke by the qt instead by the gallon. I need to mix another qt already. So far, everything has started without issue. I'm a fan of fuel shut offs and running the carbs dry. Dumping 2 stoke fuel at season's end works well too.
Take heed , all this I learned the hard way
grin2.gif

PS. I mix an oily 32:1 for all my 2 strokes. Even the ones specc'ed for 50:1. Nothing has broken yet
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Myself, any vehicle that isn't used consistently I add blue STA-BIL to every load of fuel. Today's gasoline doesn't last long. If for some reason you don't use that equipment for a month or two you may end up with a gunked up fuel system. And, how long does the gas in the can hang around before you use it all up? It doesn't hurt anything to just add a bit to the can every time you fill it up and then you know the gas is fine for up to a year. Double dose it before the winter.

Originally Posted by andyd

PS. I mix an oily 32:1 for all my 2 strokes. Even the ones specc'ed for 50:1. Nothing has broken yet
grin2.gif

Me too, under the advisement of a member who knows a lot more about engines than I do.

The best gasoline additives will have PEA, everything else is pretty much a waste. Better to put a PEA cleaner like Gumout with Regane (look for the word Regane) or some others that have it than something like Seafoam or Berryman B12 which may do some cleaning, sure, but not as much as a PEA thing. Seafoam also ups the octane points a little bit so your engine may feel peppier, most engines do on higher octane fuel especially if you are used to a lower octane. Still a waste if not needed but sometimes it is needed!

Have not had to store a vehicle, might do a Sta-Bil if it doesn't affect anything. Then you add the fresh gas and burn it off etc.

I was told by the friend whose Stihl Farmboss was specc'ed @ 40:1. I admired it and bought one new. He is an upper end finish carpenter/joiner and good friend still. He isn't a motor head That was in '75. Coupla air filters . a few plugs, 2 starter dogs, So old it doesn't have a chain brake. I heated with wood and most of it was cut by that saw. Then I got a few Lawnboys that used 32:1 TCW3 I used whatever store brand oil I can find. Cheap stuff. Lately, it has been Valvoline Universal Mix. I'll probably buy a qt this summer. Present qt is 3 yrs old.
grin2.gif

Also , I have never had clogged exhaust ports or fouled plugs. I Imagine that is possible, Maybe I'm just lucky
grin2.gif

I use no additives during the season, other than a splash of techron in the first fuel tank of the season. At the end of the season, i put my equipment away with fuel thats treated with stabil and tcw3 at 600:1

Originally Posted by talest
The best gasoline additives will have PEA, everything else is pretty much a waste. Better to put a PEA cleaner like Gumout with Regane (look for the word Regane) or some others that have it than something like Seafoam or Berryman B12 which may do some cleaning, sure, but not as much as a PEA thing. Seafoam also ups the octane points a little bit so your engine may feel peppier, most engines do on higher octane fuel especially if you are used to a lower octane. Still a waste if not needed but sometimes it is needed!

Have not had to store a vehicle, might do a Sta-Bil if it doesn't affect anything. Then you add the fresh gas and burn it off etc.

Seafoam makes the engine peppier???

Originally Posted by coopns
2 stroke trimmer and ride on tractor.

Does anyone add gas additives or is that not recommended?

Fuel stabilizer only.

Shell or BP top tier 89 octane in everything. Sta-bil every fill. Whatever leftover I dilute with fresh gas and use it in the snowblower. Top tier around here same price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by talest

Seafoam makes the engine peppier???

A higher octane makes an engine peppier? That is not how I thought octane worked, isn't it purely a measure of knock resistance? If you're running a 10:1 compression ratio shouldn't 87 and 91 feel the same, since none of it is causing knock?

Originally Posted by coopns
2 stroke trimmer and ride on tractor.

Does anyone add gas additives or is that not recommended?

Stabil for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back