Subaru or Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota CVT Issues
It looks like nobody has figured out CVT transmissions. More mfgs are using them too as the new Malibu has one. The best one that I know of is the one used in the Ford Freestyle van from the mid-2000s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Toyota CVT Issues
It looks like nobody has figured out CVT transmissions. More mfgs are using them too as the new Malibu has one. The best one that I know of is the one used in the Ford Freestyle van from the mid-2000s.

That does seem to be true but much of it might be urban legend. Not saying one way or another. But lets face it the 3 speed automatic was king for 35 years. They better have gotten it right. I think it took Chrysler 30+ years to get it right..lol. I don't think they ever recovered from the push button ones of the 70's

When 3AT's ruled the roost, just how much shifting did they do? I mean, when they jacked the FD ratio up they likely had to downshift more often on the open road; but when they added OD those 4AT's were locking and unlocking the TC often. And shifting out of OD, often. I'm wondering if the 4AT's were just as robust as anything before it--it's just that every shift has the same amount of wear/damage, and the 4AT's simply wore out faster because they did more shifting than the old 3AT's.

Just speculation on my part. Certainly some of those 4AT's had some breakage patterns to suggest otherwise.

Anyhow, seems like these 6+ speed autos are pretty long lived.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Just realized the Subaru Crosstrek is majorly derivative of the Ford Focus 5door and the Dodge Caliber from a DECADE earlier.

I thought it was the Impreza with a hatch on the back?

I was just talking about the styling and form, how it had been around a while before the Crosstrek.

The crosstrek is just a jacked and tarted up Impreza - which can be had in 5 door "wagonette" bodystyle.
It used to be called the Outback Sport in the 90's and early 2000's

IMPREZA 5 DOOR

[Linked Image]

2002 Outback Sport
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I loved my 2012 Mazda3 w/ manual, but Bambi smashed in the front so I decided to trade it for a 2016 Mazda6 w/manual. Loving it too, but it only has 36K. Hasn't been back to the dealer for any warranty work other than a silly recall about weld spatter and electrical wires.

Unfortunately I recently discovered the manual is no longer an option except on a single model of the 3 hatchback.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Elkins Good to know reliability data point.

My last CX5 had zero issues* until 106K miles, when the high-pressure fuel pump went out. The Mazda dealer called it a fluke, and likewise I've seen no issues reported on any forums about that, so I figure it was bad/contaminated fuel, or a fluke, or something odd.

*That I didn't cause. One time I forded a creek and didn't change the diff fluid, and it had taken on water during the crossing. The AWD solenoid died 2 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back