Road Trip to Central America

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Nice safe. Call me paranoid but what's to say..."

That's crossed my mind, too.

I'm also considering a security system which I forgot to mention, and surprised no one else has mentioned it

I have no experience traveling like you are planning, but I enjoy reading these types of adventures. This may not be relevant, but one thought that comes to mind is the availability of your tire size. If your tires are not a common size in Mexico/Central America, you may have more grief and downtime if you need to replace a tire. If that could be the case, a spare tire or two may be beneficial.

The best defense and help you have is knowing the local language. You've got this.

The second best is looking poor. You will look like the Monopoly Man no matter what you do, but those hitch locks etc will attract the wrong kind of attention.

Your focusing on what brand of oil and when you're going to change it is micro-managing inside a bigger picture. I have concerns you need to fill out the corners of this picture. Your oil is not going to fail you, unless you run out of it or get water into it.

South America is more civilized than the Congo, but this is a good read:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...c-of-congo-lubumbashi-to-kinshasa.50799/

Originally Posted by eljefino

Your focusing on what brand of oil and when you're going to change it is micro-managing inside a bigger picture. I have concerns you need to fill out the corners of this picture. Your oil is not going to fail you, unless you run out of it or get water into it.

Thanks for that link. I'm sure it appears that I'm focusing on when to change the oil, but this is just one aspect of the trip that I'm asking on this site. My main concerns are security, route planning and navigation, dealing with international border crossings, and worst of all, the notorious bureaucratic nightmare of shipping a car. Tons of logistics and planning, and BITOG is a great resource for the vehicle aspect, which will allow me to focus on the big stuff mentioned above.

Originally Posted by eljefino
T
The second best is looking poor. You will look like the Monopoly Man no matter what you do, but those hitch locks etc will attract the wrong kind of attention.

Ask my wife. I am pretty good at looking poor
smile.gif

Last edited:
I would never want to keep anybody from living their dream, but I will relate a story from a friend of mind that might be enlightening.
He transferred within his company from the US to Mexico City, I believe that he was originally slated to spend a year there and ended up extending it because they needed him and he loved working there...well, he also thought it was a great move for his career and it probably was.
My buddy really enjoyed the city, culture, food, and his coworkers, but his office mates told him right off the bat he should not rent a car or take a company car for his own use. Coworkers would pick him up and drive him home every day and he learned about what cabs were safe to use when he needed one. Everybody in his office told him he should NOT ever be behind the wheel of a car without a local riding with him....I should mention that he is a Midwestern guy of Germanic descent with blonde hair and pale skin (almost as pale as mine).
For some reason, one day at work he really needed to make a short drive that just couldn't wait and nobody in the office was able to drive him...I believe that they had company cars for employees to use on site and he finally just jumped in one and took off.
He didn't even make it a mile before being pulled over...the cop told him in Spanish that he had better be ready to pay a fine on the spot or he was in big trouble.
My friend understood the guy perfectly, but played dumb and just kept telling the cop in English that he couldn't understand and didn't know what he had done wrong.
After a very extended period, the cop gave up out of frustration and let my friend go with some choice Spanish curses to speed him on his way.
My buddy's coworkers were furious with him and told him he easily could have ended up in trouble that would have cost him a lot more than the bribe.
He never drove in Mexico City again.

FWIW...

I have visited pyramids in Mexico, the Panama Canal, Panama City (inc. a walking tour) all via cruise ship destinations. That's the only way I would do it. That's not to mention The Baltic states (Estonia, St. Peters burg, Norway, Denmark, etc.)

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I noticed you want to change you oil in Panama? Why do that? Just get a fresh fill with M1 EP or AP here in the U.S. and go for it. Two quarts for top-off, sure. No oil changes required though.

The Tacoma manual requires a 5k OCI, irrespective of an oil's rating. I know EP is rated for 15k, so I might as well change it with US branded oil while I still can, and split the difference. As far as I can tell, 10W-30 is available in South America, but no 5W-30, which is preferred for my vehicle.

I would not worry a second with 10w-30 in it. Especially in central america.

My wife's co-worker and very good friend is from Mexico....she told my wife that even she doesn't feel safe there....I'd go north to Alaska instead...

While your trip sounds incredible and very adventurous, my main concern is driving a newer truck and the risk of getting carjacked. Serious concern in that part of the world.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I noticed you want to change you oil in Panama? Why do that? Just get a fresh fill with M1 EP or AP here in the U.S. and go for it. Two quarts for top-off, sure. No oil changes required though.

Maybe the gas is higher Sulphur down there?

2 years ago i talked to a guy that drove his motorcycle around the world, with a friend. he spent about 2 years just planing it. you best talk to some one who has done that. 1. can you carry a gun? . 2. should you carry a gun? 3 take extra cash for bribes. 4. learn the language.

I hope this thread doesn't deteriorate, but carrying a gun is asking for big trouble. If you want to stay legal you are supposed to surrender your gun and ammunition at the border of most countries. If instead you hide it, they decide to search you, and then it is found you will get to enjoy the pleasures of a Central American jail. Besides, the people that stop you on the road are usually in groups, armed with automatic weapons, and very ready to use them. Pulling out a weapon is a guarantee they will do so.

You might hit up ADV (https://advrider.com) too. Yes it is focused on 2 wheel adventure, but there is also a lot of general advice about this sort of thing as well as ride reports which might give you some ideas of places to see or things to do.

sounds like a great adventure. most important is that you already have spanish and a colombian wife who has given you some of her radar over the years. get a gopro camera to record it. i don't know central america, but i lived/worked in caribbean, north and southeast asia, and the mideast for 29 years, and owned/serviced cars overseas during my career. toyotas are everywhere but u.s. specs maybe sightly different, likely not enough to worry about. you can get good oil on the way, there are bitogers everywhere. if you have car trouble toyota dealers are kept to a high standard because locals with money use them and expect good results. how about choosing a theme maybe related to cars or with a corporate angle for your trip? i don't know...take a photo of every toyota dealership on the way? or something else that interests you to keep it fun. bring some small gifts to hand out to the nicely helpful folks who you will inevitably meet. i accumulate gently used swiss army mini knives on ebay for my current 3x/year, month long trips to southeast asia. also good are new $5 wm minitools, ballcaps with your favorite hometown sports team. protection against illness (international health and medevac insurance) and personal threats (bad guys and bad bugs) is vital. no guns, sadly, but a small baseball bat, sjambok, cosh, riding crop or short cossack whip (ebay), pepper or even bear spray (practice with it) are ok. having a trusted wingman along for at least part of the way would be nice too. enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back