Race gas for my ope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I can't get ethanol free gas from a pump anywhere near me would race gas work OK? The tru fuel is $8 /qt. I can buy the VP racing gas for about $15/ gallon and throw in my own oil.

I use pump gas.up to 10% ethanol with out problems for the past 19 years which is the age of my 2 stroke blower and trimmer. 6 years on the big trimmer.

I'm showing Tru Fuel 50:1 is $19.97/110oz at Home Depot. If you buy 4 at a time they knock off $2 per can.

I'd just run whatever gas you can get, and put in a good dose of a quality stabilizer, like Startron.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Are you having starting/running issues?
Have you checked https://www.pure-gas.org/ for a gas station near you

Not in the PRK. The few stations selling it are for marinas, racing,etc. Big penalties for using it in a car.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Since I can't get ethanol free gas from a pump anywhere near me would race gas work OK? The tru fuel is $8 /qt. I can buy the VP racing gas for about $15/ gallon and throw in my own oil.

They usually have a 5 gallon minimum.

They ID you, keep records, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
Not in the PRK. The few stations selling it are for marinas, racing,etc. Big penalties for using it in a car.

Here in the five county non-attainment area in Southeastern Wisconsin we cannot buy E0 anywhere, even at the Milwaukee Marina.

Having said that, I've used E10 in all my OPE and some of it is well over 20 years old. I don't always drain out the fuel at the end of summer and it is all working fine. In fact, I just used my 37 year-old Toro mower and it started up easy after the winter. I don't believe the uber-hype about E10 and OPE at all.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
All local Cenex stores have ethanol free gas at the pump.

Maybe in your local area. Not everywhere though.

I was always too cheap to buy any special fuels or additives for OPE. I had good results with E10 as long as I bought just enough fuel for two weekends worth of mowing and trimming and used it up. If the fuel sat any longer than that, it got poured into the car and a new batch was bought. At the end of the season everything was put away with an empty tank and float bowl. No special "rocket fuel" needed for the old Toro to do its job. Fresh E10 worked fine.

Any airports near you? 100LL is about $5.50/gal last I heard. Then just figure out if they'll sell to you.

If you're having a lot of carburetor issues, use the Briggs stabilizer. I got a bottle from my local small engine guy and he swears by it. He said to just use it in all OPE gas, whether you'll use it right away or not. It's supposed to be able to deal with the ethanol issues in pump gas.

Go ahead and try some of the Racing Gas and see if it helps. Some of the OPE stores here sell non-ethanol gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back