Subaru or Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
What killed the Mazda and Subaru for me was radial tires- for me it's bias ply or nothing!

Well played sir... Well played...
The luddites didn't even see it go over their head...

Originally Posted by wag123
The CVT design that Toyota uses in their Hybrids is totally different than the CVT design used in all other ICE vehicles, including their own. Their planetary gear Hybrid CVT has proven to be virtually bullet-proof.

Does the Camry Hybrid use the same planetary gear system as the Prius models?

I like Alex on Autos on youtube. The guy is honest and really go over a lot in his half hour or so reviews.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I've stopped watching him. The guy makes click-baitey videos on the same 4-5 topics over and over again.

Can't say I blame him. But contrary to some of the other commenters here I'd say he's actually pretty smart. He probably makes $1M+ a year creating YouTube videos!

I think he's probably biased though towards older vehicles. Mazda just recently started cylinder deactivation so I doubt he's personally seen any issues other than the older GM's and Honda's that had oil consumption. I had a 2013 Mazda CX-5 for 90k that was trouble free except for the garbage infotainment system which didn't break but never worked right.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
The CVT design that Toyota uses in their Hybrids is totally different than the CVT design used in all other ICE vehicles, including their own. Their planetary gear Hybrid CVT has proven to be virtually bullet-proof.

Does the Camry Hybrid use the same planetary gear system as the Prius models?
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive
The CVT that Toyota uses in the new ICE Corolla is also different than the CVTs used by other manufacturers. It has direct drive gears for starting from a dead stop, and then shifts to using the CVT belt after the car gets moving. This minimizes the wear/stretch on the metal CVT belt for improved long-term durability. You can think of this as a two-speed CVT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
What killed the Mazda and Subaru for me was radial tires- for me it's bias ply or nothing!

You can still get them.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/bias-ply-tires.html

Originally Posted by Imp4

Well played sir... Well played...
The luddites didn't even see it go over their head...

I got it, i was just being equally sarcastic.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I could get real interested in the new RAV4 if it came with a 5 SPD manual but I don't think it does so that takes it off my list.
The Mazda with it now deactivating cylinders now its off the list the Subaru FB engine and oil usage has killed it. I really like there looks but I'm not going to settle for a problematic car for that kind of money.
If you are holding out for a new Japanese brand small SUV/CUV with a manual transmission, there are only three left... Subaru Crosstrek, Honda HR-V, and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.

The Mazda CX3 is available in a manual. The truck is finding one.

Originally Posted by dcd
Originally Posted by mclasser
I've stopped watching him. The guy makes click-baitey videos on the same 4-5 topics over and over again.

Can't say I blame him. But contrary to some of the other commenters here I'd say he's actually pretty smart. He probably makes $1M+ a year creating YouTube videos!

Yup, he's one of the early people to start monetizing YouTube and he managed to stay pretty popular to this day. That says something about his intelligence.

As far as his "opinion" on various topics, that could very well be the character he portrays while on camera.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I've had both Subaru & Mazda and like them both, but IMO for durability I'd chose Subaru and for fun the Mazda.

With the Forester XT I would chose the forester for fun and Mazda for reliability.

you are holding out for a new Japanese brand small SUV/CUV with a manual transmission, there are only three left... Subaru Crosstrek, Honda HR-V, and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.

We take delivery of our Crosstrek this Wed!

I love how he hammers subaru bc of their antiquated opposed 4cyl and the Straight 4 is somehow more modern innovative?? The guy is hard to take. If he loved subaru he would still be hard to take.

Last edited:
I gave the Scotty Kilner Youtube channel a couple of tries, but didn't care for his personality. Makes me cringe my teeth thinking back to watching those two video's.

I was at the Subaru/Mazda dealership this week for a recall (brake fuse) on my Crosstrek. They have a 2020 Mazda3 AWD hatchback in the showroom. The interior is very impressive with great materials and layout. In fact it is up there with some German luxury brands that I sat in last year when shopping for my wife's new SUV. Mazda knocked this one out of the park. However, Subaru fits my style better, rough around the edges just like me. I'll take boxy, quirky, with wonderful outward visibility all day long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by Pelican
I've had both Subaru & Mazda and like them both, but IMO for durability I'd chose Subaru and for fun the Mazda.

With the Forester XT I would chose the forester for fun and Mazda for reliability.

you are holding out for a new Japanese brand small SUV/CUV with a manual transmission, there are only three left... Subaru Crosstrek, Honda HR-V, and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.

We take delivery of our Crosstrek this Wed!

I love how he hammers subaru bc of their antiquated opposed 4cyl and the Straight 4 is somehow more modern innovative?? The guy is hard to take. If he loved subaru he would still be hard to take.

Id pick the mazda cx5 gtr or sig over the xt both for fun and reliability.

I have never driven a Subaru so can't really say which one is better than the other.

My Mazda experience (2010 Mazda 3 GT/ 6 speed manual) was incredible to say the least. Can't remember exact mileage when I traded it but want to say it was prob close to 80k and the only issue ever experienced was the HVAC recirculate actuator that went bad and was fixed under warranty. One set of tires, a multitude of oil changes (every 5k), couple cabin filters, couple sets of wipers and 1 engine air filter was the only maintenance I had to do to that car.

Rotary engine aside I have to say that I would have utmost confidence in Mazda getting things right with their powertrains and the technologies attached to them.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Id pick the mazda cx5 gtr or sig over the xt both for fun and reliability.

And you have!

I see the use of the term "fun" as a relative term. Say, "fun" as compared to a 1966 Landy.

I find them all barely tolerable. And the Mazda design is hideously feminine and inappropriate.

As my car is hideous and derivative, too. The VW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pezzy669
I have never driven a Subaru so can't really say which one is better than the other.

My Mazda experience (2010 Mazda 3 GT/ 6 speed manual) was incredible to say the least. Can't remember exact mileage when I traded it but want to say it was prob close to 80k and the only issue ever experienced was the HVAC recirculate actuator that went bad and was fixed under warranty. One set of tires, a multitude of oil changes (every 5k), couple cabin filters, couple sets of wipers and 1 engine air filter was the only maintenance I had to do to that car.

Rotary engine aside I have to say that I would have utmost confidence in Mazda getting things right with their powertrains and the technologies attached to them.

Considering that they don't make the rotary anymore, you should be confident.

The rotary they are working on is way to small to power a vehicle.

Just realized the Subaru Crosstrek is majorly derivative of the Ford Focus 5door and the Dodge Caliber from a DECADE earlier.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Just realized the Subaru Crosstrek is majorly derivative of the Ford Focus 5door and the Dodge Caliber from a DECADE earlier.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I thought it was the Impreza with a hatch on the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back