Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 good for 12.5-15k miles or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thread ever: I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 2.3L manual trans (133k miles) mostly driven to work 14 miles one way and a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4L with CVT (just under 30k) mostly lady driven 5 miles or more at a time with at least one long highway ride per month. I have some PUP 5w-30 I wanna use... Ranger calls for 5w-20; Outlander is 0w-20. Not too concerned with warranty
issues. Not one to pay for UOA. Which vehicle would you run it in and for how long? Thank you in advance!

The factory recommended OCI for either since you don't want a UOA is my offical recommendation. On a personal note I would try the Ranger with a 10K OCI with PP.

Thank you, Dave. I am leaning towards using it in the Ranger. I reckon my question centers around can PUP serve as an extended drain interval oil?

I would think it can do 10k miles in the Ranger
Many vehicles come with synthetic oil as fact fill and recommend 10k oil changes
I know the oil they use has been tested past that 10k mark and is serviceable or they would not recommend it
So go to 10k with no worries

Originally Posted by toneydoc
Many vehicles come with synthetic oil as fact fill and recommend 10k oil changes
I know the oil they use has been tested past that 10k mark and is serviceable or they would not recommend it

Vehicles that are 15 years old should have UOAs done. Dilution and contamInation over time often occur. That's why I stopped recommending at 7.5K

Oil is cheap engines are not, trying to squeeze the last mile out of oil at the prices they charge in the US for oil is beyond being frugal it borders on downright stupidity IMO.
5-7K and dump it.

In 2005, Ford oil change interval was 5,000 miles, or 6 months? Now your car is 25 years old, and you want to extend your oil change interval. Do it with an oil labeled for that purpose. Perhaps get a Fumoto valve so that you can drain for analysis.

I would just change the oil. It cost more to analyze the oil. My 2007 Ford gets oil every 5,000 miles, or annually. I went 2 years, the oil looked new, but there was condensation buildup under the oil cap. Now, I try to drive 100 miles every few weeks, just to prevent that. Get the engine running to burn off the moisture. But even that, is barely 2,000 miles a year.

Outlander should get the thin oil since it seldom gets hot enough with those short trips.
5w30 PUP would be OK for 1 year & up to 10k miles. Its a full synthetic, much better than the oil Ford assumed you'd use when they wrote the Owner's Manual. If you were short tripping it (you're not at 14 miles), then I'd say change it in 6 months regardless of miles. As it is, 1 year or 10k miles is no problem for this very well formulated oil in an easy-going port fuel injected engine.

Originally Posted by Trav
Oil is cheap engines are not, trying to squeeze the last mile out of oil at the prices they charge in the US for oil is beyond being frugal it borders on downright stupidity IMO.
5-7K and dump it.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Thank you everyone. Interesting suggestions to mull over. The longest oci I have ever purposely done was ~12.5k miles - was gonna go the entire 15k on the Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, but chickened out. I am quite the cheapskate, but at the same time very much enjoy general vehicle maintenance. I reckon the consensus is that PUP (as are majority of synthetics) good for 10k, but not necessarily an extended drain interval oil...

Originally Posted by kfy81
Thank you everyone. Interesting suggestions to mull over. The longest oci I have ever purposely done was ~12.5k miles - was gonna go the entire 15k on the Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, but chickened out. I am quite the cheapskate, but at the same time very much enjoy general vehicle maintenance. I reckon the consensus is that PUP (as are majority of synthetics) good for 10k, but not necessarily an extended drain interval oil...

Well being said you can save pennies on one end and spend the big bucks on the other end. If you are unwilling to run UOA you would be very wise to play the game conservatively.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
In 2005, Ford oil change interval was 5,000 miles, or 6 months? Now your car is 25 years old, and you want to extend your oil change interval. Do it with an oil labeled for that purpose. Perhaps get a Fumoto valve so that you can drain for analysis.

I would just change the oil. It cost more to analyze the oil. My 2007 Ford gets oil every 5,000 miles, or annually. I went 2 years, the oil looked new, but there was condensation buildup under the oil cap. Now, I try to drive 100 miles every few weeks, just to prevent that. Get the engine running to burn off the moisture. But even that, is barely 2,000 miles a year.

His Ranger is nowhere near 25 years old lol

Originally Posted by toneydoc

Many vehicles recommended 10K OCI's with just plain API SN motor oil.

Originally Posted by Trav
5-7K and dump it.

Your favorite manufacturers started the extended drain interval and it has gotten to the point 10K miles OCI is no longer considered extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back