Just when you think a repair will be easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got out my grinder and cut'em out. I did all 4(F&R) in a few hours. I just went full gorilla on them. The rear were a bit difficult to finagle in/out but overall not bad.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I just went full gorilla on them.

crackmeup2.gif

Got off easy. On my 96 Windstar, the sway bar tube just rotted off at he driver's side mount, so I had the link and a section of sway bar flopping around. I was shocked when I was able to unbolt the end link from the strut. Took it to the shop to replace the sway bar and both end links. Apparently the rotten sway bar is common enough to have a kit available with the bar and both end links.

Living in New England, if I'm thinking the repair will be easy it means I'm not actually fixing anything.
lol.gif

Kroil, torches, air hammers, impacts, etc are usually needed for anything more than an oil change.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Living in New England, if I'm thinking the repair will be easy it means I'm not actually fixing anything.
lol.gif

Kroil, torches, air hammers, impacts, etc are usually needed for anything more than an oil change.

Yep!!!!

As Charlie told me when there were 3 of us Hauling on the end of a 10' cheater to adjust the track tensioner on a wreck of a Cat D4. "Brute strength and ignorance"
What I've learned since is that a sharp set of drill bits, with a few punches, cold chisels and picks will remove most sheared studs, etc.. Patience and caution has replaced brute strength and ignorance. Too cheap to get air or heat. I have a sawzall , a 4" grinder, and a Dremel. I also developed a process that used a 2' stick of 5/8 all thread, some wood, and a 10 lb hammer to remove the inner tie rod ends. It allowed me to stand beside the fender and use the hammer like a golf club. This is DIY shade tree hack stuff. I had 5 E28s over a space of 22 yrs. I did a lot of front end work, but not enough to justify expensive tools.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
KrisZ: It's LMAO not LOMA...pretty sure unless yours is a new expression.

Around here, "full gorilla" is attained by "Flogging it".

Thanks Kira, I meant LMAO. I got all the letters just not in the right order. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain 🤣

In my experience, sprays get the rust-riveted shaft to spin in place, to better resist your hacksaw.

Life has gotten better since putting away the cordless Drill Driver with mounted grinding stone and the Dremel with the little cutoff wheel, and buying a right angle air drill, an air die grinder, an air cutoff tool and some left handed twist bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back