Trans fluid change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a buick lucerne 3.8 with the 4t65e trans that is known to have issues. What is a good interval for pan drop and filter change to get the most life possible?

I haven't had mine too long and when it got it it only had 30k on it. I dropped the pan and while the pan was dirty the fluid was really clean and red. I plan to drop and fill every 30 to 40 k on mine.

Since it's a 2006 Buick Lucerne I'm guessing the ATF has been changed at least once? From there every 50k if it takes Dex VI.

Originally Posted by Spitter
I have a buick lucerne 3.8 with the 4t65e trans that is known to have issues. What is a good interval for pan drop and filter change to get the most life possible?

*I* think 30K (minimum) and 50K (maximum).

https://bit.ly/2HuSwAI

Ed

The car has 105k on it. I did a pan drop at 90k when i bought the car and it had been done at least once before because it had a aftermarket filter and gasket. It is showing max adapt delayed shift code.

For ATF, change out a quart or two every oil change with a siphon pump down the dipstick.

The car has 105k on it. I did a pan drop at 90k when i bought the car and it had been done at least once before because it had a aftermarket filter and gasket. It is showing max adapt delayed shift code.

I had an 02 Intrigue that had the max adapt shift code. I put a Trans Go shift kit in it. That was the band aid fix for that problem.

Originally Posted by Ryan

I had an 02 Intrigue that had the max adapt shift code. I put a Trans Go shift kit in it. That was the band aid fix for that problem.

Yeah that's the issue with this transmission once it has a problem it goes.

It is showing max adapt delayed shift code.

What gears is the delay happening ?

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Yea every 30-50k is a good interval with synthetic fluid.

GM recommends changing it at 50k for severe and 100k for normal driving.

Yeah, GM recommends similar for my 2017 Equinox. I did the trans, transfer, and differential at 32K miles. From the condition of the fluids, I would not have wanted to go any longer. 30-40K intervals is what I am sticking to. Using similar intervals for my other vehicles also.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Yeah, GM recommends similar for my 2017 Equinox. I did the trans, transfer, and differential at 32K miles. From the condition of the fluids, I would not have wanted to go any longer. 30-40K intervals is what I am sticking to. Using similar intervals for my other vehicles also.

The initial break in will leave all of the above pretty gnarly. You can go to 100K and UOA it you will be surprised on how well it holds up.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by Jimzz
Yea every 30-50k is a good interval with synthetic fluid.

GM recommends changing it at 50k for severe and 100k for normal driving.

They and other car companies will not replace your trans after 36-60k either so they have little to lose by saying to go longer. Those longer intervals make their cars look good when car magazines do the "cost of ownership..." BS numbers.

I would second the trans go shift kit. It should extend the life of the trans and the fluids even if it didn't have the max adapt code. I've seen lots of these cars come into the shop with that code (for other issues) never fixing the tranny. So I assume they can last a while even with the issue.

Personally I think doing D/F every 30k miles with good ATF (synth if possible) will work great.
On my 2 cars I did complete ATF replacement at 20k miles with Sportage and 30k miles with Forte, then first D/F 20k miles later on each, next ones are every 30k miles.
Factory ATF was dirty and brown when I changed it, MaxLife I use was still red and clear 20k miles later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back