will atf+4 mix ok with gl4 80-90w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id like to confirm if would be ok to thin gl4 with an atf? ...or thicken atf+4 with gear oil? Ive been reading how the g56 trans in my ram should be overfilled by 1 quart and that the trans when in a ram uses atf+4 but when in most other applications is filled with various other weights of gear oils depending on climate. Most guys on the diesel or ram forums are draining and filling with sychromesh, mobil syth gear oil, or other concoction. id like to add 1 quart of something and if thickening would be beneficial I may aswell add a gear oil. I doubt 1 qt will really make much a difference in viscosity anyway but i want to make sure they will blend ok....

Thanks

Wow really.

So what is the specific problem you are having and are trying to correct by using a combination of Internet assistance and lubricant mixing?

G56 is a manual trans, it isn't an autotrans.
There is no issue adding a qt gear oil to the ATF, don't worry about additives compatibility.
Someone here mixing Mobil 50 and Amsoil(?) MTL/MTF in 5/3 ratio with good results , IMHO.

Edit:G56

Last edited:
If you want a thicker oil why don't you use a thicker oil? However I personally would pick a stable synthetic instead. If you are that concerned can you use a boutique fluid like Redline? Don't they have thicker than typical synthetic?

I also assume you are not trying to reuse the left over ATF+4, that'll be penny wise pound foolish.

hey thanks everybody...sorry to disappear but I sure appreciate the advice. as explained...no problems I just want to add 1qt overfull. i didnt thinl would be a problem blending but wanted to confirm. thanks

Originally Posted by Chris142
Those 2 lubes have a completely different additive pack. I would not mix them...

Exactly.
thumbsup2.gif

These two fluids will mix, but that doesn't mean the final mix will be good for the transmission.

If ATF+4 is speced for your transmission, then you could use that or this:

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/MT-LV_GO_PROD_INFO(1).pdf

Did the internet jockeys also tell you that overfilling may cause severe foaming problems and that air bubbles do not make for a good lubricant?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spitter
I have heard of people mixing mtf and atf in manual trans for racing. Recomended by the builder.

I would find another "builder."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back