1981 AMC Concord, 258 (4.2L) I6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this car for about 6 years now, and have been doing 3K OCIs with either Pennzoil HM or Valvoline MaxLife 10w30 in the fall and 10w40 in the summer. Should I just keep doing what I've been doing, or should I look into another type of oil?

Originally Posted by milesdriven
I've had this car for about 6 years now, and have been doing 3K OCIs with either Pennzoil HM or Valvoline MaxLife 10w30 in the fall and 10w40 in the summer. Should I just keep doing what I've been doing, or should I look into another type of oil?

That sounds solid, though with today's quality of oil you may be able to drop that to a 5W-30 especially in fall, it runs fine ? They also say 5k is the new 3k, if you go for that.

The 4.2 is the predecessor of the 4.0 so should be happy with your regimen. I'd think you could go a bit further with a UOA, maybe up to 5000. If it ain't broke....

Obviously that's a far dirtier engine than new stuff, assume it's got a carburetor, but I still think you could stretch out the OCI to 4-5000 miles. Oils are much better now.

Last edited:
I'd say its a perfect regime. AMC's are great, unique cars - any pics you could share?

Would love to have an old 1970's AMC car.

Don't see why not. The 258 I had in a Jeep years ago loved straight 30 in the summertime! These engines are not picky and will run flawlessly on any lubricating oil pretty much.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Don't see why not. The 258 I had in a Jeep years ago loved straight 30 in the summertime! These engines are not picky and will run flawlessly on any lubricating oil pretty much.

I've heard that, about Jeeps and Straight 30. That said, could just stay with the 10W-30 or even a 40 if you want a "summer oil" it comes down to personal preference from that time

Those old engines were built pretty sloppy. I would not run anything below a 10w-40 in it. 15w-40 would be a great choice. Its carbureted so fuel dilution may be a problem. Not over 4000 miles without a uoa.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Those old engines were built pretty sloppy. I would not run anything below a 10w-40 in it. 15w-40 would be a great choice. Its carbureted so fuel dilution may be a problem. Not over 4000 miles without a uoa.

Might be a little thick where he lives in the winter, but yea, 15W-40 would be great where you live. I agree the 4K would be tops with his carburetor.

Originally Posted by JLTD
The 4.2 is the predecessor of the 4.0 ...
The 232 in³, introduced 1964, was the predecessor of the 258 (4.2L). Same bore, different stroke. There was also a 199 in³ version.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by JLTD
The 4.2 is the predecessor of the 4.0 ...
The 232 in³, introduced 1964, was the predecessor of the 258 (4.2L). Same bore, different stroke. There was also a 199 in³ version.

And of course the 4.2 had its predecessors.
grin2.gif
Amazing group of engines, with a run from '64 to '06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back