Milesyn SXR, 5w30, ~8,200mi, 2007 Toyota Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the second consecutive UOA on my son's car. ...A correction to the info on the report: The vehicle mileage on the previous OC was incorrect. It should have shown 171,190 miles. I accidentally entered my other car's mileage when submitting the first report.

The previous oil was Milesyn SB (Synth-Blend) with 3.5 oz Liqui Moly #2009 (see note) and 1/4 oz ZDDP. [See Note].

The latest results were for Milesyn SXR (full-syn) 5w30 in service approx 8,200 miles in a 2007 Toyota Matrix 1.8L. Vehicle mileage at time of UOA was 179,400 miles. The oil as tested was treated with 1/2oz ZDDP and 2oz Liqui Moly #2009 (see note). This car gets driven a lot and is about 30/70 city/expressway. My son logs most of the mileage and he's a fast-paced driver.

NOTE: I use additives of my own volition and request that warnings and cautions about doing so, not be posted in this thread.

Enjoy

Ray

MatrixB-StoneReport02.JPG

Last edited:
Great iron wear results. Viscosity held up, high flashpoint, good enough TBN. The sodium I don't think is normally part of the additive package in MileSyn, from limited PQIA data published on their full syn 5w20 oil a while back. That amount of sodium could be from sea salt spray coming in through the air cleaner. (It would be the coolant's sodium, but there's no accompanying potassium, so not coolant probably.)
I'm not against small doses of ZDDP & moly like you've done. ... Its only when people dump in huge amounts of stuff that it begins to be problematic. I've used HyperLube ZRA polymer esters in small amounts before.

FYI: This oil was in service all winter and he works in construction. The local roads (especially on his normal route) are covered in road salt. That's my theory about how the sodium got bumped up. The air cleaner was changed at the time of the previous OC. The vehicle does not have a coolant problem (to my knowledge).

If you're not losing any noticeable coolant then you are probably fine.
As Blackstone mentions, your Potassium level is OK. However, the other UOA from 30K miles ago looks similar. Only you know what oils you've been using.

Here is a PQIA on Milesyn SRX however, it's 5W20 not the 5W30 that you used. The Sodium levels in their VOA is
http://pqiadata.org/Milesyn_SXR_5W20.html

Last edited:
@ oil_film_movies: The iron is surprising low and all the other wear metals are looking good too. I know this engine is not losing coolant because the overfill tank is sitting fine for over a year or more. The road salt in the latter part of the winter was quite high. I think that might be a contributor. All I can do is watch for it.

@ Char Baby: Thanks for posting the PQIA link. I saw that a while back but forgot to bookmark it. It would have been ideal if both OCs were the same type of Milesyn but, the first was syn-blend and the second was full-syn. That's how it worked out because I'm clearing out some 5 gallon pails taking-up space in the storage shed.

I purposely manipulated the Moly and ZDDP levels between these two tests. If you'll notice, the second time I used 1/2 the dose of moly and 2x the dose of ZDDP. This was intentional, as I wanted to see if the testing results tracked a linear response. -And they did according to my ppm calculations when I derived the original doses for ZDDP. The first moly dose was a shot in the dark. At least now, I have a baseline for both.

Going forward, I'd like to keep the moly levels in the 300 range and keep the Z/P in the high 900 range. BTW: This vehicle is my "test dummy". The upcoming UOA for this engine will be coming in a few more months. The last OC was Milesyn full-syn and if all goes well, the moly & Z/P levels will track the results I'm shooting for.

I am curious about where all the calcium went.... That PQIA report show calcium in the 2200 range and mine are hovering around 1500. In my current simplified thinking, Ca is elemental and there's nothing going on in a crankcase that can change a stable element like Ca. No worries though... I'm running this oil in my GDI Mazda 3 so lower Ca is fine with me.

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ

@ oil_film_movies: The iron is surprising low and all the other wear metals are looking good too. I know this engine is not losing coolant because the overfill tank is sitting fine for over a year or more. The road salt in the latter part of the winter was quite high. I think that might be a contributor. All I can do is watch for it.

@ Char Baby: Thanks for posting the PQIA link. I saw that a while back but forgot to bookmark it. It would have been ideal if both OCs were the same type of Milesyn but, the first was syn-blend and the second was full-syn. That's how it worked out because I'm clearing out some 5 gallon pails taking-up space in the storage shed.

I purposely manipulated the Moly and ZDDP levels between these two tests. If you'll notice, the second time I used 1/2 the dose of moly and 2x the dose of ZDDP. This was intentional, as I wanted to see if the testing results tracked a linear response. -And they did according to my ppm calculations when I derived the original doses for ZDDP. The first moly dose was a shot in the dark. At least now, I have a baseline for both.

Going forward, I'd like to keep the moly levels in the 300 range and keep the Z/P in the high 900 range. BTW: This vehicle is my "test dummy". The upcoming UOA for this engine will be coming in a few more months. The last OC was Milesyn full-syn and if all goes well, the moly & Z/P levels will track the results I'm shooting for.

I am curious about where all the calcium went.... That PQIA report show calcium in the 2200 range and mine are hovering around 1500. In my current simplified thinking, Ca is elemental and there's nothing going on in a crankcase that can change a stable element like Ca. No worries though... I'm running this oil in my GDI Mazda 3 so lower Ca is fine with me.

Ray

SN+ dropped the calcium and added Mg.

Originally Posted by dave1251

That certainly seems to hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by dave1251

That certainly seems to hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

Ray

Your welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back