Subaru or Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we bought out 17 cx-5, i looked briefly at the forester. It was cvt so that was an instant no for me. Our mazda was before the cylinder deactivation model.

If i had to buy a new suv today, probably the non hybrid toyota rav4. We looked hard at that, but the rear seats of the mazda were more comfortable.

Last edited:
I have "rung his bell." I look forward to all his videos and find him knowledgeable and entertaining. One thing is for certain, he tells you what he thinks and even though I don't agree with everything he says, I admire his testicular attitude.

Originally Posted by spasm3
When we bought out 17 cx-5, i looked briefly at the forester. It was cvt so that was an instant no for me. Our mazda was before the cylinder deactivation model.

If i had to buy a new suv today, probably the non hybrid toyota rav4. We looked hard at that, but the rear seats of the mazda were more comfortable.

We are on the fence between the hybrid and non-hybrid Rav4. Why non-hybrid? Due to the CVT? Toyota seems to have figured out the CVT so I'm not too worried about that and the 6 speed AT in my Camry is not the greatest. Wish there was a sport shift option for it.

Scotty is very biased against German cars, Italian cars, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, and Subaru.

No luck with Mazda during the Ford Intervention years. Worst cars were Mazda 626 and a Miata I owned.
Subaru though a bit crude around the edges in the base models have had good overall reliability. ( minus some years with engine issues - like most of the Asian brands) Their CVT is well tuned to their engine and Subaru get excellent fuel mileage with the base forester and Impreza/Crosstrek.

S.o.A. gave us a free 120K mile CVT warranty on the Crosstrek for a nice peace of mind gesture.

He is entertaining, but he thinks the Subaru CVT is made by JATCO, and that is just WRONG.

I disagree with about half of the statements he makes in this video.
Also, he is just flat-out wrong on some of his statements, like the automatic transmissions they both use. Neither one of them are using Jatco transmissions. Mazda uses their own adaptation of a Ford automatic transmission design that they manufacture themselves. Subaru developed, manufactured, and marketed the first automotive CVT automatic transmission back in the mid 80's and used it in the Justy. This CVT became the basis for the Jatco CVT design that Nissan and other manufacturers use (since Nissan owned controlling interest in Subaru before GM took over). So, you can blame Subaru for the CVT that so many people dislike. The Lineartronic CVT that Subaru is currently using, while being very similar to the Jatco design that they themselves developed, is a newer design that they are manufacturing themselves.
I agree with his disdain for cylinder deactivation.

Originally Posted by Leo99

We are on the fence between the hybrid and non-hybrid Rav4. Why non-hybrid? Due to the CVT? Toyota seems to have figured out the CVT so I'm not too worried about that and the 6 speed AT in my Camry is not the greatest. Wish there was a sport shift option for it.

Scotty is very biased against German cars, Italian cars, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, and Subaru.

For me, i generally buy and keep my cars a long time. So cvt is a no go, also the hybrid has an expensive battery and a regenerative braking system. Since i keep them a long time, and work on them myself, i subscribe to the kiss principal

IF you trade or only keep them 4-6 years it may not matter to you.

Last edited:

The CVT design that Toyota uses in their Hybrids is totally different than the CVT design used in all other ICE vehicles, including their own. Their planetary gear Hybrid CVT has proven to be virtually bullet-proof.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't watch his videos. The guy is on drugs and has ants in his pants.

I agree. I can't stand this guy.

Well the Subaru head gasket problem was not because of the flat 4 engine, but because if the material used.
Subaru is the only car manufacturer that also manufactures its own transmissions.
I've had both Subaru & Mazda and like them both, but IMO for durability I'd chose Subaru and for fun the Mazda.

Every time I see Kilmer I am reminded that somewhere, a village is missing its idiot...

I could get real interested in the new RAV4 if it came with a 5 SPD manual but I don't think it does so that takes it off my list.
The Mazda with it now deactivating cylinders now its off the list the Subaru FB engine and oil usage has killed it. I really like there looks but I'm not going to settle for a problematic car for that kind of money.

What killed the Mazda and Subaru for me was radial tires- for me it's bias ply or nothing!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I could get real interested in the new RAV4 if it came with a 5 SPD manual but I don't think it does so that takes it off my list.
The Mazda with it now deactivating cylinders now its off the list the Subaru FB engine and oil usage has killed it. I really like there looks but I'm not going to settle for a problematic car for that kind of money.
If you are holding out for a new Japanese brand small SUV/CUV with a manual transmission, there are only three left... Subaru Crosstrek, Honda HR-V, and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.

I've stopped watching him. The guy makes click-baitey videos on the same 4-5 topics over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back