The Civic @ 196,500 - What does your engine look like on Mobil Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a cam area pic of my 2007 Fusion.
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Not many below-freezing starts a year I bet.
Bring her up North; Just that and a short trips to work would make a different picture.
Yep, Our gasoline and weather up here will have that engine dead in 130K miles from new.

I guess I am longing to move to Tornado alley for a comfortable retirement
smile.gif

It gets cold here in Illinois also( and very hot in the summer) and I have put several hundred thousand miles on engines(91 Ranger with 354K and my present 2007 Fusion with 241K and others) and have not experienced any of the issues you speak of. Long lasting engines, no varnish, and no sign of engine wear and all with M1 oils at 10K OCIs.

Here is a pic of my 2007 Fusion. Can't seem to show entire pic. Any help will be appreciated.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4260025/1

Last edited:
Not trying to thread jack or anything, but just wondering if the "Groove" that can be seen in the cam lobes near the bottom of the pic from Berto's engine is normal, or if that is that considered to be wear on the cam? It's hard to tell from the picture, but even though the "Slightly neglected" engine is not as clean, it looks more like a discoloration than a groove in the lobes.

Originally Posted by Berto
If you don't mind DuckRyder, I can contribute to the "What does your engine look like on Mobil Oil" theme.

Engine is a 2.2 four-pot Z22SE, european iteration of the GM L61 ECOTEC, 246K km (153K miles) on the odo and still pulling strong. Mobil 1 5W50, 10K km (6K miles) OCIs:

[Linked Image]

For a comparison, here are pics of a "slightly neglected" L61 found around the web:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Patman
Our family experience over 12 cars run through the past decade and a half. Not pulled out of my ...uh .... hat lining.

You and your family are excessively hard on your vehicles. Perhaps you need to treat them a little better, and they'll treat you better too. You all need to change your driving habits.

Most of my Wifes engine problems were due to proven poor manufacturing or design given the TSB and recalls associated with her VIN.

I'm not commuting anymore so MY driving is less severe, though still "sporty". I was more of a transaxle killer in the past.

I guess premium faux synthetic oil cant fix everything.

Last edited:
Most of my Wifes engine problems were due to proven poor manufacturing or design given the TSB and recalls associated with her VIN.

I'm not commuting anymore so MY driving is less severe, though still "sporty". I was more of a transaxle killer in the past.

I guess premium faux synthetic oil cant fix everything.

Well it certainly can't fix people.

I have to agree … what a tireless one way load of manure from this guy …

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have to agree … what a tireless one way load of manure from this guy …

In other news: water is wet and the "faux synthetics" seem to be resulting in some super pretty and clean engine pics in this thread.

Not many below-freezing starts a year I bet.
Bring her up North; Just that and a short trips to work would make a different picture.
Yep, Our gasoline and weather up here will have that engine dead in 130K miles from new.

I guess I am longing to move to Tornado alley for a comfortable retirement
smile.gif

What kind of ignorance is this? Here in Missouri we may have a full work week of below freezing temps and then on the weekend it may be 90 something. My 6.0 PSD did plenty of below freezing starts and I can guarantee that after 200k miles she is spotless on the inside. The wife's 2.0 ecoboost also has survived plenty of cold starts and I push the oci out to 15k miles, it also is most likely spotless. What makes you just pick 130k miles why not say 110k miles or 60k? An odd number choice along with wanting to retire in tornado alley a lot of odd choices

Mobil 1's some good stuff for sure! Never understood the skepticism it gets on this board from time to time! Lol

Originally Posted by jongies3
Mobil 1's some good stuff for sure! Never understood the skepticism it gets on this board from time to time! Lol

Because they sell the down graded stuff at Walmart. Sarcasm off!

Our family experience over 12 cars run through the past decade and a half. Not pulled out of my ...uh .... hat lining.
Ask my wife who seems to kill these cars. She has had a lot of Subaru, where most had TSB and recalls for excessive oil usage (FB25B) and incorrectly manufactured cylinders heads as on the EJ253. Just like the toyota 2.4 and the honda have as they went to slipper skirts and low tension rings. These are FACTS you can chooses to ignore, if for nothing else but for your own sanity and peace of mind.
Her current car has a Subaru of America free warranty extension to 120K miles on the CVT. She has decided to try and keep that - for now. The engine is loud for some reason and that bothers me.Sound like an internal exhaust issue. All I could do was check the airbox - and it was tight. Local Dealer says "operating as intended".
All get excellent, complete service with good oil and filters and timely fluids changes.
All I notice is, she is usually in a rush to work and in the Winter she just gets in and starts and goes pretty hard even on days near 0F. That can be a factor.
But, I still stand by the notion that our gasoline is abysmal.
Your experience may vary. And it does.
Ill take you LUCK if you want to give it to me
smile.gif

I am officially TOed because Subaru only extended my FXT and my daughter's Impreza to 100kmiles on our CVTs!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back