Oil to flush out sitting ATV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 20 year old ATV. It is in great condition overall, but I would like to flush out the motor since the previous owner could not remember when the oil was last changed. It is the correct level and the previous owner said it was dealer serviced. My guess is the oil is a few years old.

Manufacturer spec calls for API SF or GF rated 10w40. Motor and transmission share the same oil, so it must be wet clutch safe.

I was thinking of getting SuperTech 15w40 diesel oil and doing at least 2 or 3 short OCI runs of approximately 15-30 minutes of riding. The ATV takes about 3.5 quarts per oil change. Each oil change will get a fresh oil filter as well.

Once the oil is looking good, I plan on using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic because the ATV's primary job will be snow plowing my driveway. I just hope synthetic will not cause a leak on a 20 year old stock motor.

Does my plan sound OK?

SuperTech has JASO DH-2 rating, you need JASO MA/MA2 for a wet clutch bike. I would look at the oil that is in the ATV and make a decision from there. It may be OK to simply dump it and go with the Rotella. If you decide to do more than 1 OC, I would not change the filter with every one, but leave it and change it at the end.

Why not just get the Rotella 5w40? Do a short OCI with that, and refill it with Rotella 5w40. At least that way you won't have any residual Super Tech, or whatever oil you decide to do the first [flushing] OCI with. I realize my way might cost a bit more, but if that is the oil you plan on using imo it is a better way to go.

Go with Rotella T4 15w40 its chock full of detergents, meets JASO and is widely used.

Since its 20 yrs old i would probaby go with a fuel system cleaning as well.. Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment (removes Gum, Carbon and Varnish).

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Why not just get the Rotella 5w40? Do a short OCI with that, and refill it with Rotella 5w40. At least that way you won't have any residual Super Tech, or whatever oil you decide to do the first [flushing] OCI with. I realize my way might cost a bit more, but if that is the oil you plan on using imo it is a better way to go.

Cost. Draining T6 after 30 minutes of use seems expensive. I'm cheap
lol.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
What exactly are you needing to flush out?

Old oil that has been in there for several years. The ATV was sitting and seeing minimal usage or even no usage for long periods of time.

Originally Posted by Chris142
No flush. Drain and fill.

That is what I meant. Two or three drain and fills.

I should have clarified in the original post.

Originally Posted by lancerplayer
I was thinking of getting SuperTech 15w40 diesel oil and doing at least 2 or 3 short OCI runs of approximately 15-30 minutes of riding.

Rotella 15W40/5W40 is the ONLY diesel oil that has the JASO MA/MA2 listed on the back of the jug. SuperTech, and any of the other diesel oils, do not list JASO MA.

AND, the oil doesn't need a flush unless it was submerged in water or something. Just change the oil.

10W30 motorcycle oil will be perfectly acceptable for YOUR winter use as well.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Rotella 15W40/5W40 is the ONLY diesel oil that has the JASO MA/MA2 listed on the back of the jug. SuperTech, and any of the other diesel oils, do not list JASO MA.

Yes it is listed (as suitable for), but it is not a JASO rated oil.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Cost. Draining T6 after 30 minutes of use seems expensive. I'm cheap
lol.gif

Ok. I figure it will be [censored] near 100% Rotella using my method. Since I occasionally suffer from OCD I'd rather have it that way.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
No flush. Drain and fill.

That is what I meant. Two or three drain and fills.

I should have clarified in the original post.

I don't think this should be needed. Siiting is not an issue. Oil is stable.

I would just drain the old oil and add some ST 15w40 HDEO and call it a day. I have used it many times in wet clutches with no issues whatsoever.

just get new oil in, and drive it, needs heat to burn off any condensation or water in crankcase.

there are folks on bitog (motorcycle side) who use supertech 15w-40 in wet clutch bikes with no issues...including myself (use it as a 'thickening' oil during warm weather by adding it to whatever frankenbrew I have -- 10w-40 & 15w-40 blended); agree on several short OCI's to flush out; on the fuel side...pure gas high octane with a respected cleaner/stabilizer (I would opt for K100 MG+)

I agree, get everything nice and hot, change the oil and filter, then just keep up with the normal service intervals.
No need to flush oil in a vehicle that is well cared for. Any oil made in the last 10 years has plenty of detergents and dispersants, I really doubt there's much sludge or sediment in there. Getting it hot and draining the oil will give a real world indication... based on your description, I am confident the drain will look good.
Usually I suggest the Rotella T4 15w40 (white bottle) except your temperatures sound pretty chilly, with the snow plowing. T6 synthetic might be a better choice for your environment.
Enjoy the new old ride!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back