Design similarities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Going into the Home Depot this morning I noticed the similarities between these 2 sedans' back ends. Roof/trunk line, small side window design, trunk lip spoiler, chrome accents. One is missing exhaust tips and door handles. Who followed who?
[Linked Image]

Cars all look the same today / that's why it doesn't matter who makes them.

So true! It's too bad they didn't choose a better looking design to copy too.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Both were copying EPA fuel requirements. Cars all look the same today / that's why it doesn't matter who makes them.

Truth.

A car's body shape is dictated by:

1) The ability to seat 4 people.
2) Aerodynamics
3) Crash safety.

Once you have optimized a design for these three main criteria, they are all going to pretty much look the same.

Yup, all the cars look the same to me today. I understand why, but still am not thrilled with it. Back in the 50s and 60s, I could tell the make and year of most cars from quarter mile away. Now I have to see the logo to know what it is. I get a laugh out of commercials, and even owners saying how great some model or another looks, and I can't even tell them from others. I know I am an old fogey, but I still liked cars with more style.

Hard to tell a lot of cars apart these days. I also liked the old days when you looked forward to new cars coming out due to redesign. Now it tends to be the same thing year after year. Dull.

I've had to rent some cars over the past few months and without fail I've had to hunt around the lot to find the right car, finally resorting to pushing the unlock button a few times before finally finding the right car in the sea of same-looking stuff.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
An argument as old as cars. Boring blandmobiles have always looked like all the other boring blandmobiles.

*yawn*

I think that argument is resurrected every decade or so.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
An argument as old as cars. Boring blandmobiles have always looked like all the other boring blandmobiles.

*yawn*

I think that argument is resurrected every decade or so.

Yep. I remember saying the same thing in the eighties.

Who was first? Good question. Civics and Fusions looked basically this way starting in 2006 models. The first car I can find with the nearly identical triangular side rear window is a 2011 Chrysler 200. Honda had one the following year. Can anyone beat those?

All the CUVs have looked the same for years, too, right down to the headlights & taillights.

Originally Posted by PimTac
... Yep. I remember saying the same thing in the eighties.
Back then (mid- to late- eighties) some people liked to describe cars with improved aerodynamics as "jelly beans."

Originally Posted by CR94
Back then (mid- to late- eighties) some people liked to describe cars with improved aerodynamics as "jelly beans."

The jelly bean thinking started with the Ford Taurus. Out of a sea of plain looking straight edged cars, the Taurus was the first to get the rounded look.

Originally Posted by old1
Yup, all the cars look the same to me today. I understand why, but still am not thrilled with it. Back in the 50s and 60s, I could tell the make and year of most cars from quarter mile away. Now I have to see the logo to know what it is. I get a laugh out of commercials, and even owners saying how great some model or another looks, and I can't even tell them from others. I know I am an old fogey, but I still liked cars with more style.

You are correct.

While I am a Toyota fan boy, the commercial where they guy goes into witness protection and is forced to have a Lexus SUV and decides he'll take his chances and drive an Audi makes me laugh. Both SUVs are almost identical except for the front grill and Lexus grill is more garish.

The jelly bean thinking started with the Ford Taurus. Out of a sea of plain looking straight edged cars, the Taurus was the first to get the rounded look.

Did the Taurus come before the Tenpo with the jelly bean look? The early Taurus was a game changer.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Did the Taurus come before the Tenpo with the jelly bean look? The early Taurus was a game changer.

I think the Taurus was first though my mind is not as good as it used to be. The Tempo and Topaz were not rounded early on as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back