Can M1 AFE 0W-30 handle a year OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since buying a Buick for my daily driving duties, the Tacoma is going to see a lot less miles on it annually. Probably between 5k and 10k or less as it will only be used on weekends for running around town or whenever the weather gets bad and the car can't get around effectively.

Last several changes I've used M1 0W-30 and really liked it, but wanna know if it can handle a year in the sump no problem? Truck sits outside and it's Montana, temperatures vary between -30 in winter to 100 in summer. Really like to stick with 0W-30 for the cold start protection alone, but would consider EP or AP if they're truly better options for yearly changes.

Also can a standard orange Fram live up to the task or should I put in a TG or XG instead? Engine is really clean so I've never worried about a OC for longer OCI's especially now with the silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Since buying a Buick for my daily driving duties, the Tacoma is going to see a lot less miles on it annually. Probably between 5k and 10k or less as it will only be used on weekends for running around town or whenever the weather gets bad and the car can't get around effectively.

Last several changes I've used M1 0W-30 and really liked it, but wanna know if it can handle a year in the sump no problem? Truck sits outside and it's Montana, temperatures vary between -30 in winter to 100 in summer. Really like to stick with 0W-30 for the cold start protection alone, but would consider EP or AP if they're truly better options for yearly changes.

I own two cars now, one of which is a 1999 Lexus RX300. I only put about 3,500 to 5,000 miles on it a year, and like you, mostly on weekends. I run Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and change it annually. I've had several UOA's from Blackstone Labs, including TBN, and the reports are glowing. Very low wear metals, good TBN retention and comments referring to how clean the oil is. I started using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters a few years ago and have been very pleased with the results. I used to use Toyota brand filters before I went to an annual drain schedule. I'm buying my oil now from Wally World on-line, and get excellent prices on the oil and filter delivered to my home with free shipping in a couple of days. I live in a climate that can have 100 degree summers but never approaches the cold lows you experience, so I can understand your wanting a 0W-30. But I did want to say that if you are considering M1 EP 5W30 I think its a very fine oil which my 1MZ-FE engine really seems to like.

I have run plain ol' Pennzoil "yellow bottle" (NON-synth) out to 15,000 miles in all weather types.

I think you'll be MORE than fine and you are worrying about (literally) absolutely nothing....

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have run plain ol' Pennzoil "yellow bottle" (NON-synth) out to 15,000 miles in all weather types.

I think you'll be MORE than fine and you are worrying about (literally) absolutely nothing....

What documented proof do you have that running Pennzoil conventional for 15K OCIs will allow your engine to exceed 200K without inner engine repair?

Are you 1st and last owner of your vehicles?...... I doubt that! Heck, I'd like to see the inside of that engine after seven 15K OCIs.... @105K. I'd bet it would house sludge.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

What documented proof do you have that running Pennzoil conventional for 15K OCIs will allow your engine to exceed 200K without inner engine repair?

Are you 1st and last owner of your vehicles?...... I doubt that! Heck, I'd like to see the inside of that engine after seven 15K OCIs.... @105K. I'd bet it would house sludge.

No it would not be "house sludge" or whatever ridiculous garage you can muster.

Originally Posted by talest
I think it can, yes.

Yes it can.

I have done 10K OCI's with plain Formula Shell and the engine is over 10 years old and is clean from the top end.

Originally Posted by dave1251

The story goes, that the 70s formulation of Pennzoil Yellow Bottle would destroy engines by turning to wax or sludge inside the engine in a very short period of time, leading to the Black Death.

The present API SN service or higher, or newer, of said PYB is probably the cleanest or amongst the cleanest oil formulation ? and Pennzoil advertises as being made from natural gas now, as opposed to actual oil.

But, this is the Internet, so, yeah, sure, Pennzoil will sludge up your engine, sure.
smirk2.gif
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...oil-made-from-natural-gas-255519821.html Although , Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is not synthetic.

If you speak to Canadians from that era they will likely remember Castrol has the same reputation as it was the popular brand there.

The poster I quoted has been here for 15 years and has only posted conjecture and blanket marketing statements.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by dave1251

The story goes, that the 70s formulation of Pennzoil Yellow Bottle would destroy engines by turning to wax or sludge inside the engine in a very short period of time, leading to the Black Death.

The present API SN service or higher, or newer, of said PYB is probably the cleanest or amongst the cleanest oil formulation ? and Pennzoil advertises as being made from natural gas now, as opposed to actual oil.

But, this is the Internet, so, yeah, sure, Pennzoil will sludge up your engine, sure.
smirk2.gif
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...oil-made-from-natural-gas-255519821.html Although , Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is not synthetic.

Pennzoil doesn't even advertise Ultra as 15K. Even 10K on conventional for it's entire lifetime is blasphemy.
Take care of your expensive investments. Synthetic is as cheap as conventional these days and that's not shopping for house brands like Supertech or NAPA.
A few name-brand, high quality oils have yearly rebate programs. Buy enough oil for a year using these rebate offers.

Stop with the 10-15K OCI expensive investment nonsense using conventional oil. Your engine deserves better treatment than that..... for the same price as what you paid for that inferior conventional.

I'm done with this. I cannot teach stupidity. It just never sinks-in.

It's not nonsense when things called facts support the useage. Marketing is not fact and if the oil company had any say on OCI's we would still be using 500 mile OCI's.

Would love to see this UOA, you like to live on the edge! Lol

I am not sure that any motor oil could not handle a 1 year OCI. It really all depends on the hours on the engine in that time as to whether it is viable. I do only annual oil changes on lots of equipment and one of my vehicles. They never exceed the miles/hours in that year, so I just do an annual oil change to keep things simple. That year includes days of 100F+ and -20F or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back